Fifty Eight

"This is a joke. A bad one...like a really fucking bad one, but a joke nonetheless. Right?"

Kai looks to be three seconds away from throttling a pensive Alistair, considering the way his jaw muscles currently flex against his stubbled skin and the subtle aggression beneath his words.

The three of us are standing in the hallway that leads to the bedroom, in order to discuss the drastic turn our Joshua-situation had taken. Privacy was necessary to avoid being eavesdropped on by the Gemini witches currently occupying the living room, oblivious–somewhat–to Kai's strong aversion to their involvement.

Alistair had cast the summoning spell, which the witches had answered within minutes. It brought the three Geminis to our apartment instantaneously, two boys and a girl, looking young enough to be in college, or even the latter years of high school. Evidently, Kai wasn't pleased with the age range, because he'd barely listened to the greeting that left their lips before motioning for Alistair and I to follow him.

"Forgive me, Malachai, but I'm not sure I understand why you're having such a reaction," Alistair says, admirably calm despite the icy glare Kai is currently sending through him like a dagger.

He elicits a disbelieving laugh. "Because you came to my apartment talking about building an army, then brought the fucking Portland daycare to my living room."

The elder frowns. "You're being a bit theatric. They're all either a few years younger than or exactly your age."

Kai drags a hand down his face, exasperated. "My real age or my physical prison-world-time-out age?"

Alistair's pointed silence makes the brunette groan loudly.

"Not that I was even that excited in the first place about having help for something that should be my business and mine only, but to bring inexperienced witches into the mix? Sure you're trying to help me or solidify Joshua's position as stand-in leader?"

"Don't be ludicrous. They're Geminis like any other with the same teachings you received before you were sent away."

"But they've never gone against ancestral magic, Al. This isn't some run-of-the-mill operation where they can throw around their little defense spells, cast a motus, and ultimately mark a victory." Kai takes a menacing step forward. "I need dark magic. And if you don't see that, you're even more of a washed-up old timer than I tho–"

I grab Kai's hand before he can continue his angry pursuit toward Alistair, tugging him back. He faces me in the same movement, his features softening ever so slightly when they land on my stern gaze.

"Alistair," I say without taking my steady eyes off of Kai's, "do you mind waiting with everyone in the room? Kai and I need to get ready, since we literally just woke up when you got here."

"Yes, of course," he answers, pausing beside me when he starts to leave. Bending his head to my ear subtly, he murmurs, "Please talk to him, Ms. Gilbert. I believe your word will be much more effective than mine."

When I give him an understanding nod in response, he walks back down the hall.

Kai mimes a choking motion with his free hand in the air, while glaring after the retreating warlock.

When we're in our closed bedroom, changing into real outfits for the day that don't consist of our lazy loungewear, my boyfriend's irritated silence gives off an uncomfortable loudness of its own.

I peek up at him as I put together a simple get-up made out of the clothes I've left here recently, making a mental note to officially move the rest of my stuff in the dorm. Kai's naked, scarred back stiffly faces me as he bows his head to focus on buttoning his dark blue jeans. Rolling my bottom lip between my teeth, I ignore the urges stirring up in the pit of my stomach–only heightened when he stretches his arms above his head to ease his tense muscles, a raspy rumble vibrating in his throat.