Chapter 32

Chapter 32

**What happened that day**

Titus POV

I woke up with a start as I heard the door to the bedroom crash into the wall. I jumped up, fully prepared to fight off whoever it was but relaxed once I realized that it was only Jaxon.

"Hey man, Amina sent me up to check on you, said you had a rough night."

I tensed, recalling the nightmare that I had last night, feeling the need to check up on my family and made a move to do so.

"Oh, before you go, I just wanted to talk to you about something important."

"I'm sure it can wait, I need to check up in Amina and the boys, Steve is awake, and I need to make sure he's okay."

He held out a pleading hand.

"He's fine man, I just saw them playing some game with Mike, but I really need to talk to you about something important."

I frowned, Jaxon was rarely serious about anything and he'd said that he'd seen the boys and I could hear them downstairs laughing so I figured that I could spare a moment.

"Five minutes."

"I'm worried about Michael."

"Why?"

He looked down and ran his hand through his hair nervously.

"He's been acting kind of weird lately don't you think?"

"His mate is in a coma, I don't expect him to be the way he normally is that shit can take a toll on anyone."

"I can't even imagine if something like that happened to me. Luckily for me, my mate is alive and well."

I smiled at him and moved closer so that I could congratulate him. I hugged him close, genuinely happy for my friend.

"That's great Jaxon, who is she?"

As we pulled away, I heard the faint sounds of two people walking up the stairs, Michael and Steve by the sound of their voices, James was probably being carried.

Not putting one hundred percent of my attention on Jaxon proved to be a mistake.

"I'm going to have to apologize in advance, you won't be around much longer to hear it again."

"Wha-"

It was all I was able to get out before a knife was lodged in my chest. I vaguely recall fighting back but the knife had to be laced with wolfsbane because everything was a blur as I hit the ground, hand clutched to my chest, the sounds of high-pitched screaming and a deeper voice shouting. I fought to stay awake but, in the end, I lost the battle to the darkness to the sound of absolute chaos.

Amina's POV

I couldn't unsee it. There was so much blood. The doctors said that he'd live but it was hard to believe that anyone would be able to bounce back after having a twelve inch, wolfsbane laced blade lodged into their chest. Jaxon had missed his heart by less than an inch and that scared me more than I was prepared to accept, it would make things real.

But that's the thing, things were real. There was really a man out to get me, there was a war that needed to be fought, I couldn't trust my pack, I had two children to take care of, my mate was out of commission for an undetermined amount of time, I was in charge of every territory under this packs rule, and I was completely and utterly alone.

Three days ago, I was crowned queen and I couldn't wrap my head around that, who would've thought that I'd ever be good enough to be a queen?

I watched as pack members went around turning that pack house into a fortress, the only other building capable of being secure was the old castle that wouldn't be ready to house a whole pack for longer than a week and we'd need more time than that. With Michael's advising and plans that Titus had written out, we set out on making the territory as secure as possible. Adamantium shutters were placed over the windows and doors, meant to come down to keep those inside the pack house safe and enemies out, traps were laid throughout the surrounding forests, a curfew was put into place, and no one was permitted to enter the woods or leave the territory. It was like a prison and I hated it.