04

We only see each other at Weddings and Funerals

When the Hargreeves children reconvened for the first time in years, everyone was incredibly awkward.

Winnie was sat on the lap of Allison, dutifully trying to ignore the tense atmosphere of her beloved siblings. She was tracing pictures onto her sisters hand while Allison took a drink of her whiskey.

Vanya was quietly sitting in the corner of the couch and trying to be as small as she could. Diego was brooding in the corner and Klaus was raiding the liquor cabinet.

"So-" Luther began. Just like the good little number one, he had to take the lead. "I guess Ill get this started."

Winnies eyes only glanced up, and then back down shyly. She adored her biggest brother, but his feelings for her were on the other side of the spectrum at the moment. She didn't want to impose anymore than she was already.

"I think we should have a small ceremony at sun down in his favorite spot." Luther offered.

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison asked.

"Yeah under the oak tree." Luther said. He squinted in confusion, "He used to sit out there with me to talk- he never did that with you?"

"Dad always just showed up in my Studio." Winnie said quietly. Luther didn't even look at her.

"Will there be refreshments?" Klaus cut in, swaggering in with the grace of a drunk man.

"Tea? Scones? Those little cucumber sandwiches are always a winner." Klaus continue. He breathed in a puff of smoke.

"What? No! And put that out- you know dad didn't allow smoking in here." Luther said.

Winnie and Vanya shared a look from across their arm rest. Despite the resident Junkie in the family- the two girls were actually the reason for that rule.

Long story short; Vanya wanted attention and Winnie loved her too much to deny her anything. They caught a sofa on fire. The end.

"Is that my skirt?" Allison asked Klaus.

"Yes it is! I found it in your room. Kinda dated I know, but very breathy on the bits." Klaus swished around his new skirt.

"Very pretty." Winnie complimented. Allison smacked the girl on her lap on the arm. Winnie giggled.

"Ok enough! We have more important things to discuss!" Luther spat out in frustration.

"Like what?" Allison asked.

"Like his death!"

"Oh here we go." Diego scoffed in annoyance. He hated how self righteous and untrusting Luther was.

"I don't.. understand. I thought it was a heart attack." Vanya said lightly.

"According to the coroner." Luther replied stiffly.

"Wouldn't he know?" Vanya pressed. Her head was swimming and trying to figure out what Luther was insinuating.

"Theoretically." Luther said.

"Theoretically?" Allison repeated with a raised eyebrow.

"Look, the last time I talked to dad he sounded strange." Luther tried to reason with his growingly impatient family members.

"Oh quell surprise!" Gurgled Klaus with a mouth filled with alcohol. Winnie bit her tongue to keep from laughing.

"Strange how?" Allison asked- being the only current Hargreeves that was actually willing to listen.