Trust

Vincent

After that moment in the kitchen, I wanted to show Lacey how someone should care for her. I wanted her to see that caring should be genuine and not have an ulterior motive. Most people claim to care about someone, then turn around and use it to their advantage. I may be a ruthless bastard, but it kept people from disregarding me.

I arrived back from my meeting and found her curled up in a chair, reading. There was something about her reading a classic book that intrigues me. You could see the enjoyment on her face from a simple task. Besides her impromptu outing, she hasn't left the beach house alone one day for a few things. That needed to change.

I walked over and knelt in front of her, removing the book from her hands as she gave me an annoyed look. Closing it and setting it down on the end table next to the chair, I looked at her.

"I'm reading that," she told me as I looked at her.

"I thought we could spend the day out of the beach house. Go to town and do whatever you would like to do," I offered as she looked at me. I knew she didn't trust me. She has no reason to believe me. I stood up and held out my hand to her.

She didn't take it but got out of the chair, standing in front of me as I lowered my hand.

"Fine," she replied as she walked by me. She was still angry with my stunt. I couldn't blame her. I had no right but proved to be unscrupulous by going behind her back and getting information about her.

We walked out of the beach house and got into the car before leaving to go to town. The drive was silent as she looked out of the window, and I kept looking forward. It took twenty minutes before we arrived, and I pulled into a parking spot. Both of us exited the car and started walking.

"I know you're still angry with me," I said when she stopped and looked at me with furrowed brows.

"Angry? No, I'm furious, but I should expect that from a man like you. You're like the others, so this doesn't surprise me," she said as a matter of fact.

I looked at her. "I was wrong. And I'm sorry. I should have asked you, but would you have told me if I did?" It was an honest question.

"Yes, because I hate lying. I may be an escort and get paid to fuck men, but I know what I am. I know where I came from before you. Lying gets you nowhere and creates more issues than is necessary. It complicates life. Let me ask you, Vincent. While you are making your deals. Do you ever informed people that they wouldn't have a job and live on state help to feed their families?"

I looked at her as my brows furrowed.

"No, because you don't understand how it feels to rely on that life. You don't want to know because it doesn't affect you," she told me as I stood there. It was an honest statement from her. She's right. I didn't know how it felt and didn't care because it didn't affect me.

"You're right," I admitted to her as she looked at me. "I didn't care until I met you."

What I spoke took her back. Her expression changed to stunned. I reached over and took her hands in mine.

"I can't change what I did, but I can show you I'm a man of my word. We lose sight of what we do and who we become until the right person shows us. Show me how to be that man," I suggested to her.

She looked at me and, without flinching, said, "Fine, but do not lie to me again, and you have to be honest with me. That works both ways. You can't expect one person to be honest while you aren't."

"Understood," I replied as she looked at me. I let go of her hands as we continued walking. I reached over and slid my hand into hers without a mention of it.