Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Michael's POV

I was keeping the boys occupied in Avery's hospital room the day she woke up.

"Hi! I'm Steve, why'd you sleep so long?"

My head snapped up at the little boys' questioning, confused because the only one asleep was Avery.

My breath caught in my throat as brown eyes met mine. She was awake.

"Mikey?"

Her voice was rough from disuse and I rushed over to help her sit up and help her drink from a water bottle that was on the table next to her.

"Yeah, I'm here, you're okay."

"What happened?"

"Someone poisoned you with wolfsbane, they put it in your food and drink."

I felt her tense up and I tried my best to soothe her.

"How long?"

"Months, let me get a doctor. I'll be right back."

I think I was in shock, I'd barely touched her, barely spoken but I'd deal with that later, now I needed a doctor.

Avery's POV

Michael had left to get a doctor in a hurry, he was acting strange. I watched the empty doorway where I had last seen him, brows scrunched in confusion. A gentle but firm tug on my hand brought my attention away from the doorway and down to a little blonde boy with a bright smile on his face, a smaller boy peeking around him.

They were adorable.

"Hi!"

"Hello."

"I'm Steve and this is Jamie, we drew you pictures! Uncle Mike said you would like them."

He didn't leave room to respond before he was thrusting sheets of colorful paper into my hands. I was still a little groggy, and majorly confused, but I was aware enough to know when to hem and haw over the stick figures and scribbles and the words that I was able to decipher as 'Get Well Soon!'

"Well thank you Steve, James, they're beautiful."

Both boys' faces lit up.

"Do ya really like them?"

I smiled at his innocence.

"Yes, I really do."

Michael walked back in, a troubled look on his face, his eyes watery. Amina followed looking as if her whole world had been ripped away from her.

"Mama, Avery really did like our drawings!"

Mama? I thought I was only out for a few months and the oldest boy had to be at least five or six and the smaller one no older than three. What was I missing?

Amina smiled weakly at the boy.

"See, I told you she'd love it."

She focused her attention on me, relief fighting to share space with the anxiousness in her eyes.

She walked closer and wrapped me up in a hug.

"It's good to see you awake Avery."

"It's good to see you Amina, you look different, but in a good way."

She smiled sadly at me.

"Things have changed since you've been asleep, I'm officially the queen and I see you've met my boys. Titus and I found them by the border and couldn't find it in us to give them up."