Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 49 - AURIE

September 11 | Evening

Unraveling, I slammed against walls of blue-green glass. I threw myself at the barrier harder and harder, but every attempt to pass through or teleport out failed. Suddenly, I looked down at myself and discovered I couldn't even see my body! I was nonexistent.

A startled outcry burst from my lungs. I couldn't hear it. I had no voice. I clamped a hand over my throat in horror and realized I didn't feel the touch. Savage. I backed away in confusion—more an impression of movement than me actually taking a step. What the hell was happening to me?

There was no time to freak out. It was more important to know what was happening on the other side of the glass. I saw Mys wearing a stunned expression that morphed into one of jarring epiphany and then simmering fury. I strained to hear what was being said.

"I wish I could tell you this isn't personal, but we both know better," Tegan sneered.

My god. Zyr's partner was betraying us. I couldn't understand how she had deceived him so thoroughly. In a flash, Mys dropped to their knees. The doe-like eyes blinked once and stared, fixed. The gamine body hit the pine needles and didn't move again.

A choked whimper rattled me inside-out. I froze in utter disbelief, every part of me cold except the burning where my eyes should be. I screamed Mys' name. Banging and striking the walls of the prison that encased me, I screamed until my phantom throat was raw. It was no use. I couldn't do anything to help. I slid to my knees like the invisible tears rolling down my absent face.

Tegan, the traitorous monster, didn't linger over the scene of her gruesome crime. She took off through the woods with the bottle imprisoning me.

Mired in stunned despair, I only realized we reached her car when I heard the door slam. We were off, but the drive was a blur. All I could think about was Zyr and Mys. Tegan had taken one of them from me. I didn't know what had happened to the other, but I was certain I would never see my lovers again. It was like dying twice.

I went numb. I didn't notice evening was falling outside until we stopped at the old convenience store. Through my glass prison, I saw the cashier that Zyr and I had met the day prior. She was smoking a cigarette near the double-doors. The thought of Zyr's efforts yesterday to get me to like his undeserving partner Tegan replayed in my head, and I forgot about the store attendant.

Tegan held the bottle near her face. "I don't know what you are," she murmured, "but I know you're not Aurelia Edison. Even though you managed to convince Zyr otherwise, I had to get you away from him...I just wish there was a better way." Her lips tightened as if she sincerely felt remorse. I wondered what the hell she was talking about, but the question faded when I saw who she was there to meet.

Tegan, what did you do? I tried to ask.

Beneath a darkening sky studded with the first specks of stars, Darcy Cyprian stepped out of his familiar black Rolls Royce. He was in his usual dapper suit with perfectly coiffed blond hair as if he had stepped straight out of a photo shoot for GQ magazine. Aside from his polished appearance, the vampire was fully in his element against the backdrop of shadowy wilderness.