Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Six.

Feith stood just inside in the door of the cabin as Reyna trudged her way in, as if the Queen of the Northern Kingdom was waiting for her. Something told her her other was well aware of what transpired outside those frosted windows, so she didn't bother to ask or explain as she met her assessing gaze.

"You're leaving?"

Feith nodded. "Will you be alright?"

"I always am," Reyna reassured her, and her mother closed the distance and wrapped her in a hug. Reyna let out a slow breath as she returned the embrace. She would miss her, but knew them leaving was for the best.

It was her mother who stepped back first, and Reyna watched her with a curious eye as Feith removed her wedding ring from her finger and placed it in her daughter's hand.

The blatant look of surprise on Reyna's face made Feith smile. "Your father received that ring from his mother when he first came to this camp to remind him that she was always with him, and now I'm giving it to you to remind you of the same."

The Heir's throat tightened as she swallowed, daring a glance behind her, looking through the windows where her father still sat on the log outside. For one hundred years, her mother wore that ring- the ring her father gave to them on their wedding day- but Reyna never considered where it came from. How would he feel to know his wife was not passing it on to his daughter to potentially get it lost in the mud?

"I'm sure he will understand when he sees it's missing," Feith reassured her as if she knew her daughter's thought.

Reyna returned her attention to her mother, nodding, still speechless.

"Now go kick his ass," she instructed her daughter, wrapping her in another hug quick hug. Her mother's lips were soft against her dirty brow, but the Queen sent her off without another word or worry.

Reyna walked from the cabin with the ring clutched in her hand. She paused only to look at it- the ruby was as red as blood and encased by silver woven over and around it. Her mother never took this ring off- what made her think her daughter would be worthy of such a prize now?

But her father was right. It was time for her to begin her own journey. And it would start with the Trial, and what she would need to do to get there.

So with her father's ring in her hand, she brought her braid over her shoulder and undid the leather tie at its end. Threading it through the ring, she knotted the end and tied the thong around her neck and placed it under the shirt. The ring was cool again her skin, but she welcomed it- a pleasant reminder as she walked to the edge of the sparring ring.

She would do this. She could do this. She had to do this. And so she stood there and watched, waiting in line with the males who pretended she didn't exist, calculating her options until it was indeed her turn.

 And so she stood there and watched, waiting in line with the males who pretended she didn't exist, calculating her options until it was indeed her turn

The male Reyna gave her blade to as she departed was the current unfortunate target to face off against the General. With visible effort, the male was struggling beneath Thessan's ministrations. The General himself continued to wear that pompously cruel smirk that never ceased to unnerve his opponent.