Some Mistakes

Nora paced. She tried every excuse to leave but Janice wasn't having it. Nora was staying for Thanksgiving. It looked like the turkey wasn't the only thing getting massacred today.

The brothers were staying all week and Nora had done everything to stay away. She skipped some meals and left with Hyde to visit friends even though she had no interest in meeting new people.

Nora was in the Miller house trying to find anything about Willem. She didn't have much time because the hunters were around.

She was sure they were at breakfast so she had time. She floated to the room Willem disappeared from and still got nothing. She knew Soren was coming. She phased, threw on long sleeves and pants and walked to the stairs.

"Oh, Nora. What...Hi." Soren wanted to kick himself.

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?" Soren was surprised that Nora was here. He hadn't seen her all morning.

Nora began to walk down the stairs. "I was trying to see if there was any trace of whatever was here. I am trying to help Hyde. This is where his brother disappeared. He asked for help." She was at the bottom. "He doesn't like coming here."

Soren walked over to her. "Oh, that's nice of you to help. This place doesn't creep you out." She was gorgeous and he missed her. He had to calm down. He took a breath.

"Oh," Nora looked around. "No. Not really. It's just an old house. Nothing scary about that. They don't creep you out?" Soren was more attractive than she remembered and he was here.

Soren smiled. She was different. Most girls didn't like haunted houses and she was here by herself. "No. Never have. I don't get scared of very much."

"Sure. I bet you see a lot of scary things in your line of work. Probably immune." Nora smiled. She should go.

Soren laughed.

Nora was staying.

"Sure. I guess. That is a good way to look at it. There was a black dog we hunted for last year that gave me the creeps but it didn't stop me from hunting it." He never talked to a girl about his job and now he couldn't shut up.

"Oh, what is a black dog, exactly?" Nora couldn't help it. She was curious and loved the sound of his voice.

Soren smiled. She was curious about their job. "It is usually conjured by a witch or warlock. It's a demon, of sorts. They can be called for various reasons but they are hellhounds."

"Black dog is another name for them. They drag whatever cursed person to hell. We had to put a stop to one such beast. The witch got a little out of control and became power hungry. She began to kill because it was fun to watch the black dog work. She liked the sound of the people screaming for help. I guess."

"So, you saved some people?"

"Yes. We...some of the things that we kill are evil. I mean really evil." Soren explained because he didn't want her to hate him. "We do some good out there and we help good people. Some of them are in the wrong place at the wrong time." Soren sighed. "I'm sorry that my job offends you."

Nora just stared at Soren. "No, it doesn't offend me. I just...I'm sorry. I freaked out a little last night. I was rude." She looked down.

"There, was that hard." Soren smiled.

Nora smiled then laughed.

Soren laughed and looked at Nora.

Spectral hunter. Come on and pull yourself together. Nora cleared her throat. "Well, I should leave. Get back to the house. Let you do whatever you do." She needed to leave.