CONFUSION

Nora got a package in the mail three days before Christmas. It was a snow globe and it had a haunted house in it. There was a ghost in the window and a sign on the door that said Beware of Ghosts. There was a note.

I wanted give you the one thing you truly enjoy.

S.

It was a haunted house. Soren knew what she was. He was smart and she knew he would figure it out. Nora was proud of him and shook her head as she tried to contain her thoughts.

She shook the globe and watch the snowflakes fall around the house. This was a pretty snow globe. This was thoughtful, in a weird, threatening way.

It didn't escape her attention that he had her address also. Down to the room number. He had written it very clearly on the address label. Soren had really nice handwriting.

He could kill her at any time, that was what this meant but she still loved the gift. The warning. She put it on her desk and smiled. She missed him.

She had some serious problems that a shrink couldn't fix on a good day with the good meds.

"Come on, Hyde. I am not going to your parents for Christmas dinner. That's a family event and I am not family."

"Close enough and I don't want to leave you here alone. Poppy is gone and who knows where they hunters are. I don't want to leave you alone for them to kill. Come on."

Hyde was trying to convince Nora to go for Christmas to his house. Janice invited her. "I can't just leave you here and then spend Christmas thinking you're dead."

"You think of me as family?" That was what Nora got out of that.

Hyde sighed. "Yes. Like a very annoying sister. Come on." He all but dragged her from her room and to the car.

Hyde's mom was thrilled to see her. "Nora! Glad you could make it, Sweetheart!" Janice greeted Nora with a huge hug.

"Oh, thanks, Janice. I feel like I'm intruding!" Nora hugged Janice. She had to admit that a hug was nice. She never got hugs. In a long time. She never touched people.

"I couldn't enjoy Christmas knowing that you were all alone. Please, make yourself at home." Janice was still hoping that Hyde and Nora were dating. Everyone exchanged gifts. Hyde's godmother, Kat, made a quilt for Nora.

Nora took it and gasped. "Oh, Cat, This is amazing. I can't take this! I..." Nora hadn't gotten a Christmas present in a long time either. She was pathetic.

"Nora. I make one for all of the kids. You should have one." Kat said matter-of-fact.

Nora didn't know what to say. "Thanks isn't enough." She stood and hugged Kat.

"See, that is the perfect gift for me, Nora." Cat said and smiled.

"Hyde, did you get a gift for Nora?" Janice asked.

"No, Mom. We are not dating!" Hyde defended himself.

Nora laughed.

"She is actually seeing one of the spectral hunters that were here. Soren..." Hyde smiled.

Nora coughed.

"Are you? Well, they were very attractive!" Kat commented.

Nora laughed. "Sorry. That isn't exactly accurate. I'm not seeing Soren. We are actually fighting. Not dating. I don't date."

John smiled. "Gay?"

Hyde laughed. "She isn't and that is what I asked!"

Nora blushed and shook her head. She wanted to bury her face in her quilt. Hide from this conversation.