CHARMED PLAN

They spent the next couple of days searching the college grounds. Nora ghosted around and couldn't sense it. She was getting frustrated and wanted this over with. She had a bad feeling about this whole thing and nothing made sense.

"It was here, Ryker, but it is gone. I can smell it but it's gone." Nora said. She was worried. "It feels like it was...watching."

"How can you tell that?" Poppy asked.

"I can tell it stayed in one spot. It didn't hunt, it watched. I'm worried, Soren." Nora said. She wasn't leaving his side. He slept in her bed with her both nights they were hunting, even though Nora didn't need the sleep.

Poppy pulled Ryker aside. "Can I ask a favor?"

"Sure. Maybe. Depends on what it is." Ryker was skeptical and didn't like doing favors for anyone.

"Can I stay in your hotel room? I don't want to be in the way." Poppy was trying to be tactful.

"You mean you don't want to watch the lovebirds having sex." Ryker wasn't tactful.

Poppy blushed. "Right. That is what I mean. I won't be in the way. I just need a place to stay."

"How do you know I don't have a couple of women of my own?" Ryker challenged.

"Something tells me I'm safe." Poppy teased. Ryker liked her.

"Ouch. That hurt, Poppy." Ryker smiled when she laughed. "Sure. I can't put you through that torture. You're a newbie. I don't want to scare you away before we get to hunt."

Poppy was nervous about staying in a room with Ryker but he was a complete gentlemen. She followed him into the room. It was small but sufficient. It had two twin beds. It was plenty of room for her.

"That is my bed." Ryker pointed at the bed on the left. "We can share if you want." He smiled.

Poppy laughed. "You couldn't handle me."

Ryker chuckled. "Probably right. So, the bathroom is there. Make yourself at home." He wondered what she did in her spare time.

"So.." Poppy plopped on her bed. "What do you do for fun?" She had to ask.

Ryker chuckled and looked embarrassed.

"What?" She thought it was an innocent question.

"Uh, I read." Ryker looked down.

"You read?"

"Yes." Ryker walked to his little side table and pulled out a book. It was a romance novel.

"Really! I love romance novels. I think I have read that one. Let me see it." She smiled at him. She was surprised that he read them. He handed it to her and watched her read the back. "I have. I remember this one. It's really good. Juicy!" She smiled.

"So far it is." Ryker smiled and took the book. "So, what do you do for fun?"

"Uh, I don't...really. I, uh....nothing really. I don't know when I had fun. I dated a guy last year that was serious and I haven't done anything since."

"Oh, not seeing anyone right now?" Ryker looked down. "I just mean..."

Poppy blushed. "No. Not right now. I don't want to. I don't want a serious relationship. I never want kids and marriage like everyone else does. I don't want to be attached and owned by some guy. I don't need some ass to tell me what to do and control me. I don't want another dad!" She took a breath. "Sorry, I got carried away."

"Well, I understand that. I don't want a wife because I have a fear that she will make me quit my job. I love being free to go and hunt. I don't have to check in with anyone or listen to her complain that I work too much or how my job is too dangerous. I don't want to be controlled either. I will probably be alone for the rest of my life." He sighed.