Family of Strangers

"That was a hell of a plot twist!" Asahi shouted. They were at the movie theatres and they had just finished watching the Incredibles 2. People turned to look at them and [Y/N] lowered her eyes in embarrassment.

     "Watch your language and lower your voice," chastised their mother. She briskly walked out of the theatre. He frowned at her, but still went after her. [Y/N] followed them as well. They left the large building and got into the car. It was getting late and they still had school tomorrow, so her mother drove them home.

     She thought about the experiences she had that night. It turned out that she couldn't really talk to them much; most of the time they had to watch the movie. She sighed. This didn't really do much to help the gap between her and her family become closer.

     When they got to their house, only her and Asahi got out of the car. Their mother stayed where she was. "I must go somewhere. The two of you should head on in and go to bed," she told them. Then she drove off again, so the siblings entered the dark house.

     As [Y/N] was about to retreat back into her room to get ready for bed, her brother stopped her. "Can I please talk to you for a little bit before you go to bed?" he asked her. She looked at him to see that he had dark circles underneath his black eyes. He looked even more tired than how she felt. Why would he want to talk to her this late? He looked persistent and she decided to hear him out. It was the least that she could do for ignoring him so often these past few years. She sat down on the couch next to his and he scratched his hair. "Sorry. It's just that we didn't talk at all during the movie....which makes sense, I guess....but—"

     "What do you want to talk about then?" she interrupted.

     "I....don't really know," he murmured. "It's just that it's really sad that I view you as a stranger. I was really happy when you chose not ignore us anymore. Hopefully by then I'll be able to see you as a sister soon. We'll hang out more often, right?"

     She slowly nodded her head at him. "If that's what you want, then sure."

     The boy's eyes brightened and he grinned at her. He stood up from the couch and he grabbed her hands to shake it rapidly. Unable to do anything, she just sat there and waited until he was done. His long shadow loomed over her and she glanced up. She realized how tall he was. He was even more taller than herself even though she was five years older than him. She remembered when he was only a baby and she wanted to always carry him. He had grown up so much since then. "You better keep your promise," he told her.

     "We should go to sleep now," she said as she changed the topic. He agreed and they both separated to go back to their own rooms. Closing the door behind her, she walked up to her slightly broken mirror again. Pulling her cheeks up, she tried to smile yet again. It still didn't look like an actual smile.

     She sagged her shoulders and grimaced. How was it that she could frown so easily, but could not even muster a smile?

     She yawned and dragged her body towards her bathroom to quickly do her nighttime routine.

     In the corner of her bedroom window laid a pair of brown eyes of a purple haired boy. He saw what she tried to do when she stood in front of mirror and it made him want to laugh. It was adorable to him to see the way she tried to smile. He felt proud. Proud of himself to see that he was actually making progress. And proud of her for trying so hard. No wonder he fell for her.