008. too close

CHAPTER 8,
( too close. )

     Ava huffed exasperatedly as she stepped out of the dropship, leaving Clarke and Monty to tend to Jasper's suffering

Ava huffed exasperatedly as she stepped out of the dropship, leaving Clarke and Monty to tend to Jasper's suffering. She anxiously ran her fingers through her once soft, but now, greasy hair as she deeply inhaled a breath of fresh air. Once her heartbeat steadied, she began to feel more at ease and less antsy. Ever since Jasper had been speared in the heart, anxiety and uneasiness had become the new normal.

She jumped and her heartbeat spiked once again as a shrill and deafening scream pierced through the air. The other delinquents appeared startled as well, some casting worried looks towards the dropship while others glared with complete and utter annoyance. Jasper's screams of pure agony and pain were constant throughout day and night, causing everyone else to be deprived of much needed sleep. It was clear that everyone was becoming increasingly more and more agitated with each howling scream. Ava began to wonder just how much more the delinquents would tolerate before losing their shit.

Spotting a familiar head of brown, long hair, Ava trudged over to Octavia, who was emptying out a bucket filled to the brim with dirty water. Octavia seemed completely oblivious to the girl standing only a few feet ahead of her. Following her eyes, Ava noticed that the younger Blake was focused on a certain boy who had suffered the consequences of getting too 'familiar' with her just last night. Octavia's brother can be ruthless — especially if his little sister is involved.

Ava couldn't help but notice a certain slimy and arrogant boy standing with Atom and Bellamy as they threw various weapons at a tree. It was evident that Murphy was picking Atom apart with his nasty comments; his eyes shining with glee and his lips pulled into a haughty sneer as Atom appeared uneasy. She silently chuckled as the boys rolled their eyes and sighed dramatically in response to whatever dumb shit came out of Murphy's mouth.

Once Octavia averted her gaze away from Atom, she finally realized that Ava was standing just ahead of her and jumped in surprise. "Oh, god! Ava, you scared the shit outta me. I didn't even notice you were standing there."

Ava smirked. "Yeah, you seemed to be too focused on something else — or should I say someone else."

Octavia's cheeks reddened as she smiled sheepishly. She lowered her voice as she said, "Well, can you blame me? He's gorgeous."

The two giggled, trying to glance over at Atom as discreetly as possible. But awkwardly enough, the three boys were already looking their way, and Bellamy did not look pleased, at all. Atom, on the other hand, looked as though he was trying to suppress his feelings, but the admiration and adoration shone through his eyes as he fleetingly glanced towards the younger Blake. Murphy, however, could not look more annoyed. Maybe it was because of the girls' childish and giddy attitude, or maybe it was simply just their presence all together — mainly Ava's.