Chapter Twelve

Pierce handed me the note pad and pen, motioning for me to write. At first, I was confused. He hadn't asked me a question glancing up at the male I realized that it might be my name he was waiting for.

Rolling his eyes his stare turned into a glare. "What's your name?" His voice was tight. Pierce wasn't a patient person.

Quickly I wrote down my name, Pierce leaned into me to watch. "You write like a kitten." I blushed at his mocking tone, embarrassed. I had pride in my writing, I'd taught myself how to read and write.

"So it's Toby?" I nodded my head.

"What pack are you from?" I looked up, I thought he knew? Maybe he wanted clarification?

I wrote down my Alphas name and as I finished writing a low growl sounded from beside me. I glanced at Pierce and I could see his anger. Did he not like my Alpha? Why did everyone seem to hate him? Kain, his pack, even my wolf and now Pierce.

You don't like Alpha?

"No." His taunt voice said more than his words. There was anger under the surface and I didn't want to explore it. Pierce continued to stare at my note pad before standing up.

"I'm hungry." Was all he said before he made his way to the stairs. I remained on the bed and watched his exposed back retreat. I wanted to follow if only to continue to be near the Cat but his posture indicated that I was to stay. My wolf didn't like it.

The conversation wasn't much, but I did feel better knowing that he accepted this form of communication. I felt much safer.

Setting the notepad and pen to the side I stood up and walked to the bathroom. I wanted a shower. My skin crawled with dirt, my hair felt matted and I didn't want to continue to smell. Stripping off the borrowed clothes I set them to the side away from where the water might hit. Turning the knob of the hot water on adjusting it, it wasn't much different from my old shower, slightly bigger but the workers were the same. The curtains contained most of the water but I could tell that if I didn't want to flood the basement I would have to hurry.

Quickly I got under the stream and paused for a moment, enjoying the feel of clean warm water pouring over my body. Grabbing the hand soap I lathered my hands up and quickly ran them over my body, only stopping at my rear to clean it with a bit more care. Flashbacks came to my mind and I had to stop myself for a moment. The weight of what happened was still heavy on my heart. Clenching my teeth and eyes I tried to keep the unruly emotions at bay. I accepted what happened. It was my punishment and one I rightfully deserved. But it still hurt. I was used, branded, banished. I was everything that a mate wouldn't want. The gross reminder that lay on the side of my neck and the feeling of being forced would never fade. I already knew that I would be haunted by my actions for the rest of my life. It hurt though. I hurt so much. I was better off in the hands of the Beta than I was here.

"Breathe." A warm whisper wafted into my ear and hands gently gripped my shoulders. I tried to focus on the voice instructing me but it was hard. My chest was tight, and the breath he told me to take was lodged in my throat.

"Toby, it'll be ok, just breathe." I wanted to believe those words desperately.  If only I could pretend they were real. I didn't need reality I just needed an alternate universe to live my life in ignorance. My hands clenched tighter as the bees go breathe grew but the ability handicapped. The hands ran up and down my arms soothingly trying to calm down my emotions. Again I was instructed to breathe, Pierces warm voice coaxing me out of my own mind and back to reality. It was a struggle.