Chapter 6

It had been about four days and they were pretty uneventful. I had classes everyday and Caden was gone a lot, but that was pretty normal. Med school was pretty intense and I was glad I wasn't doing it. I was super ahead in school. I did a lot of pre-law and AP classes during high school, so when I got to college I pretty much got to go straight into law school. I was glad that I managed to drastically cut down my time in school.

It was about three in the afternoon and I was done with my classes, sitting on my couch. I attempted to watch something on Netflix, but I was having trouble focusing on it. I was bored and nothing was helping. I turned off the T.V. and went downstairs. I changed out of lounge clothes into skinny jeans and a brown leather jacket, with a cream shirt underneath it. I grabbed my phone and keys and left my house.

As I stood in front of Jack's house, I wondered if what I was doing was wrong. We were just friends, but I didn't know why I kept going to see him. I knocked on his door and he opened it soon after.

"Can't get enough of me, can you?"

"No.. I.." I started, flustered.

"It's alright, Love. I'm just teasing you."

I smiled nervously and stepped inside. I saw two guys in the living room and I wandered over to them. Jack grabbed my arm, almost as a reflex, stopping me. I felt butterflies when he touched me, but I suppressed them. I turned around to look at him and he took his hand back. He scratched the back of his neck and I looked at him curiously.

"What?" I asked.

"Uhhh.. nothing." He glanced at the boys briefly as he spoke. Or at least that's where I thought he was looking.

"Right..." I continued to walk into the living room, and he was close behind me.

The first, and most noticeable, was a very tall man dressed somewhat theatrically. He had on a black jacket with a red trim and the shoulders had white feathers. He had a white top-hat settled on his longish, red hair. He turned to face me and gave me an off-putting smile. There were a few black streaks coming down from his honey gold eyes, but they appeared to be drawn on. He lifted his top-hat and narrowed his eyes.

"My, my. Who's this? Is this who brought you back here?" he asked Jack, never taking his eyes off me.

"Her name's Y/N. This is Jason," Jack answered for me.

"Nice to meet you," I said to him.

"Please. The pleasure's all mine. And it certainly is a pleasure." He licked his lips and stared at me after he spoke. I thought he looked very strange and he gave off a weird vibe. Jack lightly placed his hand on my back and I jumped, looking up at him. He wasn't looking at me, just at Jason.

The next boy was shorter than Jack, but still taller than me. He was quiet, but still confident. He had shaggy, black hair and bright blue eyes. He was wearing a blue jacket with a small, yellow smiley face pin above his heart. He didn't smile, but he didn't look angry.

"Hello, Y/N. I'm Helen," he said. He appeared to be watching for my reaction.

"Hi. Nice to meet you both." I felt a little nervous and realized Jack's hand was still on me.

"Yep, okay. I'll see you guys later," Jack said to them in a hurried fashion as he led me downstairs.

"What was that about?" I asked once we were in the basement.

"Jason can have a short temper sometimes. Sorry about him by the way. He's kind of a brute."

"That's alright." His friends were about as strange as he was. It made sense that they would all get along due to their uniqueness. There seemed to be something strange binding all of them, however. They had very different personalities and I wasn't sure what it was about them that they had in common.