f i f t y - f o u r

As soon as Antony left the room, the party began to gradually realize that something was wrong. As this realization dawned on them, the music quieted, the laughter faded, and an uneasy silence spread throughout the room.

The silence did not last long however. The noise started out as a nervous sort of chatter and soon escalated until people were shouting to one another, trying to find loved ones in the crowd, and attempting to make their way in various directions through the crush of people.

Meredith looked for her family, finding Prissy and Samantha and Nash by the refreshments table. She spotted her mother making her way towards them and turned away, satisfied that, whatever was going on, they were safe. She found herself searching for Isabella or Antony. She could see Princess Olivya and Princess Therese standing near the front of the room having a hurried conversation. However, as she continued to scan the crowd, she saw neither of the two younger members of the royal family. She comforted herself with the fact that she had seen Antony leave earlier; of course he would not have yet returned. However, Isabella should be here.

She felt someone take hold of her arm and pull her from the midst of the large group of people that were surrounding her and up onto the slightly raised platform that, only about a half an hour ago, had been used as a place to greet the royal family.

She turned and looked into the concerned eyes of Lord Andrew.

"Are you alright, Meredith?" he questioned her, a frown marring his pleasant features.

She nodded. "Have you seen Isabella?" she asked him, anxiously.

He shook his head. "It's fast becoming a mad house in here," he shouted over the noise. "Do you know what's going on?"

She shook her head. "No," she said. "But I saw a servant come in and tell...King Antony something...Whatever it was seemed to greatly upset him. He left the room immediately after."

Andrew straightened, looking out over the people who were now confined to the ballroom. "Whatever is happening, this..." He gestured to the panicked crowd. "Won't help," he finished.

Meredith nodded and then bent down to the nearest guest, telling him that he should calm down and, not only that, but pass the message on to those nearest to him.

She waited next to Lord Andrew as the message slowly passed across the crowded room, finally starting to have an effect. People gradually quieted and turned to look at Andrew and Meredith.

"Everyone listen!" called Andrew. "Panicking will not solve anything. The guards are at every entrance to the ballroom, protecting you. You're safe as long as you remain here. King Antony has gone to investigate the source of the disturbance. Please remain calm. As soon as we know what has happened, and have some details, we will notify you."

The crowd began to murmer once more, but not at the heightened volume of earlier. Andrew's words of authority and comfort seemed to have had a positive effect on them.

Meredith returned to alternately scanning the crowd for Isabella and glancing at the door in hopes that Antony would soon reappear

***

Antony entered the palace, stopping for a moment to speak with the captain of the palace guard who had hurried to speak with him as soon as he saw him.

"Sire," he said. "Every guard from the entrance to the prison to the high security cells has been shot."

"Survivors?" asked Antony, curtly, his mind still reeling over Isabella's kidnapping and Evan's death.

"Yes," replied the captain. "Many of them should be fine eventually. The court physicians are attending to them as we speak. Unfortanately, about half of them were casualties.