Chapter 20

Emma's P.O.V.

I was waiting in mom's room for her to come home from her date. Since her friends are not here, it is my job to have the girl talk after the date and make sure they don't make me another sibling just yet.

I hear the car arrive and mom get out. Within moments, the door to the house swings open and mom is set down on the couch. It is totally not creepy that I am watching them from the second floor, pff. 

I hear Mom laughing and I smile, she deserves to be happy. Asher and Ryder both kiss her and it starts to get heated. That is when I chose to make my appearance.

I descend the stairs and say, "What's going on in here?"

Mom pushes her mates off and blushes a deep red. My fathers just grin unrepentantly. I smile too.

I ask again, "Well, dads, thank you for dropping mom off, but I am going to be the responsible person in the room and kick you out." 

Our fathers grin even more when I say dads and swoop down to give mom one last kiss before leaving. 

Ryder yells back, "See you tomorrow, love."

Asher says, "Or maybe tonight, princess."

When they are gone, I sat down next to mom and brought her crutches. She still had a smile on her face and a dreamy look.

I ask her, "How was the date?"

She gushes, "It was wonderful. They brought me to a little picnic area in the forest and we talked for hours. I loved it so much. They really made an effort for this."

I tease mom, "Are you in love?"

She freezes and I knew that was a tough subject for her. But I didn't mean to pry about that. I was never able to have these talks with mom because without mates, she didn't even bother looking for someone else.

Then, she unfreezes and smiles, "Yes, it appears that I am falling in love. I mean my wolf was literally yelling at me to jump their bones."

I put my hands on my ears, "I did not need to hear that. My innocent ears!"

Mom laughs, "It's not my fault that your fathers only got better with age."

I started humming, "I'm not hearing this. I'm not hearing this."

Hearing mom's return, Laurine, Stefan's mate and a werewolf, saunters in asking, "So how did it go?"

Mom starts to gush again about it. I chose that moment to watch her. Mom was physically better, she was gaining weight again, the shadows under her eyes were gone. She was really better.

Before this, Mom had been constantly losing weight, not eating or sleeping. Sometimes, I was scared that she was going to kill herself. I mean when we were younger, we kept her really busy, so she didn't feel the effects as much.

Now, her eyes were sparking, she was smiling and laughing. I still had some resentment for the Alphas not to have looked hard enough, but I can admit that they were good for her.

I start to listen back into the conversation when mom says, "They even offered to bring me to visit their pack. I could see Alice and her kids!"

I jump into their talk, "That could be cool. I haven't met her kids yet."

Laurine adds, "Watch out around her eldest girl, Auriel."

I frown, "Why?"

She looks at me surprised, "I forgot, you were only five when it happened. So, Auriel got kidnapped when she was five. I am pretty sure she was conceived the same night you were."

"Back on topic," I berate.

"Right-" she continues. "-Auriel was kidnapped by the really nasty group of rogues, the first we broke up. It was awful, she had been raped and hurt in every way possible. Her mother, Alice, was so grateful when we returned her to them. Don't you remember, Ava, the week after is when the twins threw the biggest fit?"

Mom nods, "I remember. I treated the girl myself, one of my worst patients. I was able to heal her physical wounds, but her mental ones. I don't know if they ever will."

I shudder, "On to happier topics, have you called Alice yet?"

Mom shakes her head, "I don't have her number."

I tell her, "Ask Asher or Ryder. They would do anything for you."

Mom smiles, "Yeah, they were really sweet."

Laurine questions, "Are you okay, Ava?"

Mom smiles again, "I really am. For the first time in a long time, I really am okay."

Laurine gives Mom a hug, "I'm glad."

At that moment, Stefan walks in, "I was looking for you, mate."

Laurine smiles at him, "I had to go see Ava, she just came back from her date."

Stefan shakes his head, "I needed to see those boys. I am going to scare the shit out of them if they hurt you."

I laugh, "I am pretty sure Jackson did that. I overheard him threatening them with emasculation, murder and destruction of their pack."

Stefan looks proud, "Couldn't have said it better myself, those boys now have the fear of God in them."

Laurine jokes, "Why did you call them boys, honey?"

Stefan smiles, showing his fangs, "They are boys, only 36. I am in over six hundred years old. They are boys to me."

Laurine smirk, "So, I am only a girl. Why am I with you old man?"

Stefan smiles at her, "I can show you exactly why right now."

I jump onto the couch, "My innocent virgin ears!"

Stefan and Laurine laughs. Stefan picks her up and throws her over his shoulder.

He calls back, "For you Emma, I will have my way with her in a different room."

I could hear their laughing all the way down the hallway. Laurine loves antagonizing Stefan. their relationship had started out a bit rocky when they met. Laurine had been forced to go rogue by her pack because she didn't want to sleep with the Alpha. He made her a rogue. When she met Stefan, he was a stuffy vampire who had just joined the Smith Organization. Stefan himself had been forced out of his group for refusing to mate with someone other than his mate, even after six hundred years. I was happy that they managed to work out their differences.

I turned to mom and saw she was sleeping. I mind-linked Ethan and Jackson, "Come bring mom to bed. We are in the living room."

They arrived a couple minutes later and picked mom up with ease. We dropped her off in her room and head up to our rooms. 

Ethan and Jackson slept in the same bed while I slept in a different bed but in the same room. We had trouble sleeping without each other in the room. Mom knew that we would get over it once we met our mate or we were forced to.

Jackson says to the silent, dark room, "Our fathers better treat mom like a queen."

Ethan nods, "We will make sure of that."

I add, "Don't worry. If they make her cry, I will sic Stefan on them. He loves werewolf blood."

After, we all drift to sleep.