First Race

Kania's POV

Me and Twilight woke up to the door in our new house being knocked on this morning, not the best way to wake up but what can you do?

"What... is it?" I say sleepily to the person at the door, followed by a large yawn.

"You are being invited to participate in Dragon Racing later today at around noon. Hope you can be there." The person finishes before walking away.

"Dragon... Racing..." I repeat before I make a realization. Dragon Racing! That's right! I have a dragon now so we can do Dragon Racing! But wait... later today. Oh no, I need to hurry up and get ready! This is one thing I must NOT be late for!

"Alright Twilight time to wake up! We are doing Dragon Racing later, so we need to be early instead of late!" I am already dressed by the time I finish the sentence, while Twilight is groggily waking up.

"We can get you that cool looking saddle you wanted." I say in a tempting voice. I guess it worked because she was up in a second. She stretched and yawned and we got a quick snack before heading to the blacksmith. We saw Gobber working on dragon teeth once we got there.

"Good morning lassie, what can I do for ya?" Gobber asks while finishing up the Zippeback's tooth.

"We would like to get that saddle right there, how much is it?" I ask him, pointing at the saddle me and Twilight wanted.

"Oh that one, it's 100 gold." He tells me plainly, like it's not expensive compared to the other saddles. 100 GOLD!? That's a lot, at least I have just enough. But after that I will be broke, I guess we better win that race then.

"Okay, we'll take it." I tell him while holding 100 gold out in one hand.

"Whoa whoa lassie, I was just joking. It's actually just 45 gold." Gobber takes 45 gold out of my hand and makes sure my hand covers the rest. Thank goodness, I was worried I was going to go broke! Gobber takes down the saddle and brings it over to me, dusting it off slightly.

"Here ya go, now make sure it fits in case I need to adjust it." He tells me, pointing at Twilight. I walk over to her and take off Toothless's old saddle, and place the new one on her. It's a perfect fit, it's like it was made for her!

"Well, what do ya know, it fits perfectly!" Gobber exclaims, hand on his head.

"Well we better be going, we don't want to be late... As usual." I add the end silently. Not silently enough though because Gobber gives hearty laugh.

"Well you have fun out there, I'll be rooting for ya!" He calls after us as we walk towards the Dragon Racing stadium. I wave a thank you and continue on. Twilight and I decide to have a little race to the stadium and are there in a matter of minutes, 4 minutes to be exact.

"Hey you're here, I thought you would be the last ones to show up!" Snotlout calls from a chair above the stadium, the usual smirk on his face.

"Haha very funny, but this race means a lot to us so we had to be here early." I shoot up to him, but amusement can be heard in the tone.

"Is that a new saddle? It looks good on Twilight." Astrid compliments from the other side of the stadium. Twilight gives a little shake and holds her head up high, pride radiating off of her. She also seems to be showing it off, but she looks like she's smiling. We're actually the first ones here, that's a first. But that doesn't last for much longer than a minute when other dragon riders and their dragons show up. There is a girl who looks a little younger than me with a green-ish Gronckle, a boy a year older than me with a yellow and purple Deadly Nadder, and many others including some of my new friends. They all seem to be doing something to make sure their dragon is the fastest, they look so serious. I am only here to have fun, really. Sure I want to win but I'm not going to turn my dragon into a sparkling diamond to do it. From here the other dragons look so clean and shiny, Twilight is clean but not sparkling. She sparkles in my eyes though, she always does.

"All riders mount your dragons!" Hiccup's voice grabs me from my thoughts, then I realize the stadium is full of people. The whole village must be here! I do as Hiccup says and get on Twilight, making sure she is comfortable with me on the new saddle. She seems fine so I position myself.

"All riders ready?" Hiccup asks, Toothless seems to mimic his words to the dragons. Twilight gives a small snort, probably letting him know she's been ready forever. I feel the same and nod at Hiccup, he nods to all of us. He raises a small flag in his hand and holds it up, going to bring it down to tell us all to go.

"Ready..." He begins slowly, I press closer to Twilight. Having the gut feeling she will shoot off really fast.

"Set..." He almost finishes, I feel the tension in the stadium.

"GO!" He brings the flag down and everyone flies off really fast, so much so it surprises me. Twilight wasn't the last to fly off but she also wasn't the first. We are soon soaring through the sky following the other riders, we haven't done this before so we might as well follow the other riders leads. We fly faster and faster, gaining speed on the other riders. We pass a few riders but not the front ones, we aren't using our fastest speed because we need to save it for the black sheep. The first sheep shoos up and we start flying for it, but the boy with the Nadder gets it first. He throws it into his net and he gets the first point, no big deal. As the game progresses however every other rider has a sheep in their net except for us. We better step up our game, the next sheep to shoot up is ours. Speaking of sheep, here comes the next one!

"Let's do this Twilight..." I whisper to Twilight, she uses her serious eyes and stares trait forward. The next sheep is right in front of us and we manage to grab it right before the girl with the Gronckle does. We fly to our net and toss it in, finally! Another sheep shoots up and two siblings with a Zippleback gets it. They have 3 points now, they are quite competitive. Then I hear a loud horn, it's the horn that lets riders know the black sheep is coming!

"Alright girl, we can do this..." I tell Twilight, but I mostly tell that to myself. We will need lots of skill and luck to win this. Then the black sheep shoots up and everyone zooms for it.

"Now!" I shout to Twilight. We have to use maximum speed now. We speed up really quick and pass everyone, everyone except the two siblings. The black sheep is so close now but it starts to fall and the Zippleback siblings are going to catch it. Not this time.

"Here goes nothing..." I whisper. Then I swing upside down and swiftly grab the black sheep from under us and swing back up. I crack open my eyes to find I caught the sheep!

"I can't believe that worked!" I exclaim to myself. We zoom over to our net and Twilight launches me up, I toss the black sheep in our net while flying over it and landing back on Twilight's back on the other side.

"Kania wins the game!" I hear Hiccup shout to everyone. The crowd goes wild with cheers and applause, I feel so happy and flustered. I never thought would cheer for me ever. I know there are still people in the village who don't like me or trust me but I have friends now and a beautiful dragon who is my BEST friend. We land on the platform below, the other riders follow and a few of them come over to congratulate me. Even the siblings did! They said they were impressed and would be harder to beat next time, but I could see the amusement in their eyes.

"That. Was. Awesome! You have to teach us that move you did at the end!" I hear Tuffnut asks excitedly from behind me.

"Yeah, then we can use it to take more stuff from Snotlout." Ruffnut snickers. I snicker a bit too, honestly I'm just surprised that move worked at all. Me and Twilight had practiced it the other day just briefly but I fell a lot. I'm just glad we managed to pull it off. The rest of the day I spent talking to Hiccup and his friends, or more like my friends now too. And some of my other new friends, Twilight talks to the other dragons. At the end of the day me and Twilight go to to a cliff and sit down to watch the sunset.

"What a day huh?" I ask breathlessly. It was a great day, I feel good about being alive. Twilight nods and curls around me, still watching the sunset. She puts her hand on my thigh and I pat her head lightly before stroking it. I feel the breeze on my face and take in the fresh ocean water air, my hair blows slightly in the wind. I am only getting more exited for what the future has in store for me and Twilight, for now I can only wonder.