24.Mine

Cohen
⚠️

Practice was excruciating today. It's my fault though. My mind is only on one thing like it has been lately.

My throws have been weak, my feet are slow. Definitely not a good look for a quarterback. I grip my steering wheel harder focusing on the late afternoon traffic. I pull up to a red stop light taking the time to look around. I can't help but be on edge. Every person  I see wearing dark clothing or a baseball cap makes me tense.

How could someone want to hurt a beautiful, kind woman such as Everly?

Every nerve in my body wants her and with that I want to do whatever it takes to protect her. I hate that I let her go off on her own I should've been there and that scumbag would've never been able to lay a finger on my girl.

With my thoughts racing in my head my usual thirty minute drive home feels like a ten minute drive. I'll pull up to the house right behind my favorite red Jeep. It finally feels good to be home and be able to see her.

I notice Liam's truck is gone so hopefully that means me and Ev have the house to ourselves tonight. I really need to talk to her and see where we stand. I need her to be mine the thought of losing her makes me know I don't want to live my life without her.

I'm greeted with silence when I make my way into the house. I place my keys on the side table next to the door and drop my bag full of my practice gear in the laundry room that's right off the kitchen.

I take two stairs at a time. I can't wait to see that beautiful face and have my lips on hers.

I stop right outside the door. If I'm not mistaken It sounds like there's crying coming from our room. I slowly open the door. I see her curled into a ball clutching my pillow with her fist. Her sobs are rattling her petite frame against the bed. My heart hurts. I hate seeing her like this.

Without a word I make my way to the bed. I slip my shoes and shirt off and slide between the covers pulling her against me. Her shaking body presses to mine making me tighten my grip around her. I wrap my hand around the back of her neck and pull her to my chest. I can feel the hot tears pouring down her face. With each tear my heart breaks a little more.

Finally after a while of rubbing my hands up and down her back and playing with the ends of her hair I feel her sobs subside. I still don't want to let her go. This is the only way I feel like I can protect her.

"I'm so sorry Cohen. You must think I'm a mess." She hiccups through her apology.

"Shhh... there's nothing to be sorry for sweetheart. This is why I'm here. And you may be a mess but a very beautiful one." I tease her. Out of all the hurting she feels she's apologizing for breaking down.

"I just feel so embarrassed and tired. I was stupid enough to leave our group. I should've fought harder."She confesses.

"Why would you be embarrassed? Who ever he is took advantage. You're not in the wrong do you hear me?"

I pull her chin up making her big beautiful eyes stare into mine. I need her to know it was never her fault.

"I should've either waited for everyone to come with me or listened to you and let you come with me. I got myself into this situation. I was taught better then to have done what I did."

Disappointment clouds over her face and she squeezes her eyes shut hiding away from me again.

"Stop blaming yourself. I wish I wouldn't have listened to you and still went with you. I'm the man I should've been there to protect you."

I lean my for head against hers.
"And please stop hiding from me."

"I'm not hiding Cohen,I'm right here." I can hear some amusement in her voice.