XXIX.

Nathan's ears were buzzing, so much so, in fact, that Mick's voice barely managed to reach them.

"You'll never tell a soul about this." Mick said using a tone that suggested he was out of breath. "You hear me? No one is ever going to find out that I helped you take care of this mess. No one is going to find out there was a mess, understood? This is our secret."

There was a roughness in Mick not many noticed at first glance. Only those who sought it could find it. It wasn't hidden deep under the easy, charming smiles that embraced his face. It wasn't hidden under the scars on his torso, scars he loved to flaunt at every chance he got as if they were battle wounds, even if, in a way, that's exactly what they were. No, the roughness hid in his royal blue arteries and one could only find it when they realised that the colour they believed to be royal was, in fact, midnight.

"Yes, of course I won't tell a soul, even though we did nothing wrong."

Mick hummed in agreement but did not speak another word on the subject, preferring to change the topic instead. "How is she feeling? Did she say anything yet?"

Nathan pinched the bridge of his nose and cast his eyes to the motionless figure sitting on his couch. It had been a few hours since he found her naked, with her skin soaked in blood in the bathtub, shaking and murmuring nonsense to herself.

His first thought was that he'd failed her, lied to her without meaning to.

After all, he hadn't released her from her nightmare as he'd promised, she'd done it herself.

He'd known something was wrong the minute he'd reached his home, expecting to find her inside curled up in the bed like she'd promised, but finding cold, empty sheets, instead.

Gods, I should have known better than to trust she'd actually listen for once.

He couldn't even recall how he came to the realisation that she was only a few measly metres away from him. Was it a shadow coming from her bathroom? Was it some long forgotten instinct that had decided to awaken just then? He'd never know.

But it wasn't like he cared, either.

He'd found her, that was all that mattered.

Nathan recalled cradling her in his arms and taking her back to his bedroom, where he cleaned and dressed her, doing his best to remain emotionless.

"Shh, you're safe now." He'd whispered, casting a glance in the direction of the bloody sweater on the other side of the room before returning his attention to her. He didn't need to ask what had happened, he knew. Or, at least, he assumed he did.

However, what he did know for sure was that there was nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from facing the consequences, even if that meant making a deal with any Devil willing to bargain. "You're safe now." He'd whispered.

But she wasn't.

Not from her self.

"The same thing I told you, she's being vague but she seems slightly better now."

''That's good, I'm glad. Really am." Mick sighed, trying to make sense of the situation. "While we're on that topic, what about our friend's father, where is he?"

"He's dead. Cardiac arrest last year. He was the only one he had left."

The amber eyed man hummed in approval.

"Shame." He grimaced at his own tone. His own daddy issues were apparently catching up with him, even faster than he'd expected.

One of the guys he'd brought with him gestured him over, pointing at the floor. "Anyway, I've got to go. The boys and I have a lot cleaning up to do but if you have any news, you call me immediately." He hang up before Nathan could even mutter a robotic response.