Surprise

Vincent

I took Lacey to a concert that the town has around this time of year. It was of local musicians showcasing their talents. When I have the time, I enjoyed a show from time to time.

Besides music, they have food and refreshments along with other activists. It was a festival of sorts.

We changed into something summery to enjoy the pleasant evening. Once we were ready, we got into the car, and I pulled out of the garage, driving to the festival. I pulled up to the VIP and handed my keys to the valet.

"Good evening, Mr. Powers," he greeted me.

"Evening Rob," I greeted him back. He got into the car and pulled it around to the VIP parking area. Lacey looked at me. "What?" I asked her.

"How did you know his name?" She questioned me.

"I make a point of knowing people's names who drive my vehicles, or I may have to deal with. They are as important if not more than I am," I reminded her as she looked at me and smiled.

I motioned her with my hand as she walked towards the entrance first as I followed her. Men need to treat women with respect and courtesy unless they did nothing to deserve it. Only then do I handle them.

We walked into the area and looked around. Before we found a spot, we stopped by the refreshment area, ordering food and beverages. While we waited, we heard a voice behind us. "Lacey?"

We turned to see a man and a woman standing behind us.

"Rafe?" She looked at him, surprised.

"I can't believe you're here. When we hadn't heard from you, we figured something happened to you," Rafe commented as I stood there.

"No, I've been with Vincent. Rafe, this is Vincent Powers. Vincent, this is Rafe Montaga," she introduced us. He held out his hand, and I took it, giving him a firm handshake. We let go as she asked, "Who's this?"

"Lacey, I would like you to meet Sharlene, my girlfriend." He introduced the woman to Lacey as I stood there and watched her expression change, which wasn't right.

Lacey

The minute Rafe introduced the woman with him as his girlfriend, I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. I did what I do well; I smiled.

"We found a spot. When you get a chance, we need to talk," he suggested to me.

"Yeah, sure," I answered, trying to maintain my composure. The man and woman turned and walked away. I stood there as I felt a double whammy. First, the beauty salon and now finding out Rafe is with someone.

"Lacey?" I heard Vincent say as I stood there.

"I'm fine," I replied as I walked away. I needed a moment alone.

I walked until I found a secluded spot and stood there. Rafe was the one who recruited me to this business. He was the one who taught me how to read better and perform sexual acts on clients. Rafe suggested I agree to the meeting with Vincent then turned me away when I needed him. He was the first person I ever fell in love with within my life. Now I'm alone again.

Keep your mouth shut, bury your emotions, and smile, I reminded myself. It's a job. That's all it is. Don't break rule number two because you're not good enough for rule number two. That's what Carter repeated over and over to me. Now I understood what she meant.

"This Rafe was the man you fell in love with whom you told me about, isn't he?" I heard someone asked me.

I turned around to see Vincent standing there.