Chapter 21

Rachel’s POV

Friday March 28 2014

I arrived at the airport late last night and was thankful that my parents picked me up when I landed because I passed out in the back of the car within minutes of the drive.

Today was kind of hard. Early this morning, I had to witness my cousin being buried after the horrible disease took her life. I knew that some of my relatives would want to talk to me a lot from me moving away for work, but I didn't want to give them too much and take away from my cousin. Tonight, I’m gonna go out to dinner with my parents and sister to have a chance to talk about our lives on a lighter note.

——————

“So Rachel,” shit I knew this would come soon, “what do you have to tell us?”

“Well,” I put my fork and knife down on my plate, taking a break from my steak and salad, “I love my house. I love my job and colleagues, they're the best. I love the city and downtown Baltimore. And I love my friends…that pretty much sums it up.”

“Care to explain more?” my dad said hitting his elbow on my arm, “you left 100% of that very vague.”

I deeply sighed, “Okay. My house is two floors, two bedrooms, a studio, and the studio I work for surprised me with some equipment and furniture when I got there. At work, I have awesome co-workers and its a great setup there. I’ve already worked with a few bands and it’s been great. Everywhere that Ive explored in Maryland is beautiful. I love looking at the sights. Oh, I’m getting some tattoos soon, I forgot about that! And I have some pretty great friends too.” I smiled widely when I mentioned my friends, thinking about the boys in All Time Low.

“You have friends?!” my sister said to me sarcastically.

“Shut up, yeah I do and they're amazing”

“Pics or it didn't happen!”

“Really, thats still a thing?” I thought to myself. I pulled out my phone and showed Alanna as well as my parents pictures of me with Zack, Jack, Rian, and Alex. As I was flipping through the pictures, I saw Alanna’s eyes widen, “yeah, they're hot, I know” I thought to myself again. Most of the pictures were just us hanging out at the studio and a few when they were at my house the day I left, but as I was going through them, one of just Alex and I showed up. I felt my cheeks getting warm because in the picture I was cuddling into Alex as he held the camera, we were both smiling the widest we could. A typical couple picture. And my family noticed.

“Is that your boyfriend? Are you dating a guy in a band? How long has this been going on?” all three of them were asking me questions, overlapping each other.

I shook my head at their reactions, “Good god, what have I gotten myself into?”

——————

After an extensive talk with my family about Alex and the band, they seemed okay with our relationship. Although I really didn't need their opinion, I always thought he was a great guy. 

I was sitting on our front porch bench swing taking in the sight of my old neighbourhood and texting Alex. He said that him and the guys were practicing for a gig they had coming up. I heard the front door open and saw my mom coming outside, holding a notebook.

“Hey I recognize that notebook” I said as she sat down next to me, holding the notebook she gave me to write in.

“So I guess you’ve been using it a lot then?”

“Yeah, I try to write in it everyday at night. You’d probably laugh at some of the things I put in there! It’s like a 10 year old with a diary.”