Page 5 : Hurting as one

A menacing downfall is raging outside the window. Translucent droplets of water and icy gushes of wind collide with the glass, making it shake like it was about to burst out of its frame. The sun has hidden behind the gray clouds, a sheet of gloom has blanketed over the city.

Aori and Kahu are sitting by the windowsill, both engrossed in an intense round of shogi. Akashi had once taught them how to play, years ago, when Aori was still a naive child looking for adventures inside the mansion. Kahu was probably the same, but the violet-eyed girl doesn't want to voice her question. She's afraid to hurt the young kid's feelings, he, out of all people, should not be there.

What brought those two together under Akashi's suffocating wings? Was Seijuurou ever going to realize the harm he's doing to his servants? Will he not understand that unless he loosens the hold of the little butterfly Aori, her wings will crumple and will no longer rise her high in the air. She will never open her wings and fly.

She watches her little friend's finger swiftly glide the wooden piece across the board, setting it right in the middle of it. Aori winces, no matter what move she makes now, she has lost. This is the tactic Akashi has always used when playing shogi. The girl rubs her eyelids weakly, blinking hastily at the twelve year old boy sitting opposite her. Is it Kahu? Is it Seijuurou?

He has changed completely when playing shogi, it looks to Mizuru that Kahu has adopted the blank look and the cold attitude of his master's, along with the invincible strategies which guarantee him a fast triumph.

The bony hand of the child reaches for the wooden pieces scattered across the board. With a gracious motion, he sweeps them off, letting them rain down on the floor. The clash of the wooden objects with the polished floor causes a loud clatter to fill the air, even the storm outside seems to die down under the dusky atmosphere.

Once the noise goes down and Aori can hear the rain once again, Kahu raises his head and gives her a straight mien. He stares for a while, saying nothing, yet she can hear him.

"That was Akashi-sama's strategy." Declares the boy, folding his knees. His fists clench on the textile of his trousers and he gazes at Aori with pleading eyes.

"Help me." His orbs are screaming in agony, echoing inside the girl's head. She squints her eyes and puts her palms over her face, such a weakling Mizuru Aori, she cannot even help the young fellow Kahu.

The night draws near and the scurry begins to rise in the Akashi household. Aori is locked in the room again, her only friend is outside, helping the elder servants tidy up the place. She wonders if he's doing okay in surroundings of the hag maids and wicked butlers, she wonders if he feels lonely without her, like she does without him.

She knows that she is probably better off not getting attached to anyone, for they were to leave at some point of her life, when she finally finds the strength to leave again. Her dream to become free hasn't faded, it has only grown larger and is now rebelling louder inside her heart, making it beat excitedly inside the cage of her ribs.

It hasn't been long since she last tried to escape, Akashi hasn't let his guard down. She can't just leave whenever she pleases, fueled by her willpower, she needs a solid ground to step on before she flees to her liberty. She knows that better than anyone, then why does she waste her breath trying?

"Kahu." She shakes the lad by his shoulder, gently pulling him out of his slumber. She regrets it the second after, once she sees the relaxed expression of his face. He pokes a sleepy eye open, peering at the long-haired girl. Lightning flashes behind the window, letting Kahu see the face of the intruder. He is not surprised to see Mizuru Aori, for she has not once blurted out the word "home", it doesn't take a philosopher to guess that she's extremely homesick.

He doesn't want the reason Aori woke him up to be the same as the one he has on his tongue right now, he can't help it slipping off it, however. "You're leaving?" He asks with a sorrow shushing his voice. Aori shudders, inhaling deeply. She plants a soft kiss on the boy's forehead and strokes his bangs to the side.

"You're coming with me." She says softly, cracking a weak smile. She doesn't know how much she's just hurt the frail, shabby heart of her only friend. As tears start to well up in his huge eyes and he protectively pulls the sheets of his bed over his head, starting to whimper into the pillow.

Panic embraces the still sober mind of the young girl. Her hands grapple the folds on her dress securely as her legs shake and mouth struggles to produce any sound. What has she done wrong? Why did something supposed to brighten up the blackness of the night for him bring him to soar tears instead?

She rips her frail hand off the cloth of her sundress and slowly reaches for the blanket Kahu has been hiding under. As her skin's about to contact the comforter, a thought swims through her head.

It's Kahu's past, his mother and his sick father who need their son where he was now, unlike the foolish Mizuru, the little boy acknowledges it very well. He remembers that ever since Akashi's fired his mother and he's left as the only hope of the family, the last resort. He can't leave, there is no other way for a 12 years old to find a job and make a living.

Aori's heart throbs painfully, giving off a feeling of uneasiness. She comprehends she's done wrong, but her conscience won't let her say sorry now. She won't apologize for the sake of herself anymore, she'll bear the pain, just like Kahu. She will put herself through the suffocation similar to that she's caused her friend.

"I'll definitely make things right." She scoops all of her strength in the clench of her fist and she stands up and heads back to her chamber, only to find Seijuurou standing at the door with his arms crossed over his chest. His shadow looms over the girl and the servant boy, rage wanders in his hetero eyes.

"Follow me." He orders crossly, turning his back upon her. She has no other thing left to do but to obey silently, in order not to trouble Kahu anymore.

.

.

.

Author's note : aye dudes, pls vote and comment if you liked the chapter! i want to try and get this fic better known before the watty's voting begins c: id appreciate it a lot if u helped <3456

p.s. i havent proofread this, soz.

also, i published 20 facts about myself :D u can read that if u care, lol

bye <3