Chapter Two

"Hadley, get ready! They're going to be here in half an hour!" my mother shouted from downstairs.

I sighed and got off my bed. Today's going to be a hard day. I don't really know if I'm going to be able to handle everything today. I'm just too nervous.

"Hadley, can you come downstairs for a second?" my mother shouted again.

"I'm coming!" I shouted back and ran downstairs.

My father was in the living room with a mug of hot chocolate. Sarina wasn't here; maybe she was in her room making herself ready since she heard that there is a guy coming over. Moreover, my mother was in the kitchen preparing dinner.

"Yes?" I asked, panting heavily.

"Can you please go to the store for me and buy me some baking powder and some other groceries?" she asked politely for the first time.

I smiled and took the list she was handing over. "Okay, sure, anything for you." I said and walked away, smiling at her 'wtf' face.

My mother had no idea of how happy it made me by the way she talked to me today. She never talked to me like that. It was always shouting and yelling. Nevertheless, today was maybe a lucky day. All the credit goes to my mother's boss and his son.

I reached the store and took out the money mother gave me long with the list. I walked down the aisles and searched for the groceries, since there were so many.

I searched for the baking powder where I suddenly bumped into an old woman. A few of her groceries fell and I gasped.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry!" I said picking up her stuff.

She smiled and kissed my forehead, surprising me a little. I couldn't believe what just happened.

"Why are you so shocked?" she frowned and took my hand in hers.

"No, it's just that nobody ever did that to me. Not even my own parents." I said placing my fingers on my forehead where she kissed me. What should I even think of this?

She laughed and kissed my forehead again. "You are a very good child. You must think that there is no one that cares for you, but let me tell you a secret, for people like you, God made special angels." she grinned, making me frown at her words. She saw my confused face and smiled as she continued. "You are one of the closest people to God, because you think you have no one. That is not true. So for special people like you, God made you a special angel, who will love you and only you." she said making me smile.

"Can I call you grandma?" I suddenly blurted, but when I realized what I said, I smacked my hands over my mouth. Great, now I feel like a creep.

How can I ask such a thing! I don't even know her. However, I somehow feel attached to her. She made me feel special and loved.

She laughed and ran a hand through my hair. "Oh sweetheart, you fulfilled my wish for having a granddaughter." a tear fell from her eyes.

I smiled and wiped the tear away. "You have me now." I assured her. She nodded and I walked her home. She lived two or three houses away from me. She told me she lives alone. For a second I wanted to grab my bags and move in with her, but that's not possible. 

Then I realized that I should be home. The guests are coming in fifteen minutes and I'm not even ready yet! I kissed grandma goodbye and ran home with all the grocery bags.

I handed my mother the bags and ran upstairs. I took a quick shower and got dressed. I put on a neon tank top with my black skinny jeans. I let my hair loose and didn't bother to put on makeup.