32

Vicky West

Red and I made ourselves comfortable in the little café she had brought me to. We had been on the phone that morning, talking for a good hour, then we saw each other at the club, and continued to talk. Judy was kind of pissed, because we kept interrupting our training, so Red suggested that I join her for a cup of coffee. As it turned out, Red ordered a smoothie, and I had the coffee.

We were having a lovely time at the café; it was very quaint, and didn't at all resemble the other cafés that littered LA. It was slightly dark inside, the dimmed lights and flickering of the candles place on each table gave the room an ambiance of warmth. The windows were small, and shadowed by Victorian lace curtains. It was all very cozy, and majestic.

''You know what I find so annoying?'' Red asked me suddenly. I shook my head as I added a bit of sugar in my coffee. ''People who wear band t-shirts,'' She added, clearly frustrated with the certain choice of attire. I frowned at her, and shot her a look of confusion. I knew she wasn't even close to being done, so I sat back and prepared for the slew that was certain to follow. ''Look, I like bands, a lot. But I was in the mall the other day, shopping because I thought I was running low on clothes, and I saw these teenage girls wearing Ramones t-shirts.''

''Go on,'' I instructed Red.

''I bet you fifty bucks that they have never even heard a Ramones song. They just think 'lets be cool and wear a shirt from a band', they probably don't even know it's from a band, but that pisses me off. At least I know the bands that are printed on my goddamn t-shirt!'' Red shouted, clearly exasperated with teenager's ever-present desire to be generic. ''They should stick with their awful leopard print shirts instead of obliviously flaunting an important piece of history in the race to remain relevant.''

''I never looked at it in that way,'' I admitted. ''Now that you've so passionately explained all of that, I absolutely agree.''

''The worse part is: cute boys fall for it, and think they have found a lovely girl with a good music taste, but in fact she has shit taste in music! Seriously, I am one Ramones t-shirt away from putting my shoe up some little girl's ass.'' Red bellowed dramatically. I giggled softly when I thought about how worked up she got over something as minimalistic as a t-shirt.

''I'd pay to see that,'' I conversed.

''Well, if you come shopping with me one day it probably will.'' Red admitted. ''I am not the type of person who tolerates young people's antics just because they are 'children'. They are horrible creatures most of the time, and they piss me off.'' Red leaned back in her wooden chair, and I shook my head at her ability to make such a ridiculous topic amusing. She wasn't boring, that's for sure.

''So I've talked to Harry, and things are back on track.'' I proudly spoke. I've been completely and utterly satisfied with how things turned out between us. Harry and I are okay again, and I couldn't have asked for anything better. I brought the coffee cup to my mouth, and quickly drank the warm liquid. Red was enjoying her kiwi smoothie, and then she randomly started to make dramatic movements with her hands; letting me know she was going to say something.

''You guys didn't have sex, did you!?'' She asked, several octaves louder than I would have hoped for in a public place, but Red wouldn't be Red if she minded her tone. I shot her an annoyed look, and she just shrugged casually. ''I mean, did you guys have a heated, physical debacle afterwards?'' She insisted, clearly trying to sound more mature this time.

''Actually, no we didn't.'' I confessed.

''You didn't have make-up sex?'' She questioned softly. I shook my head in confirmation, and her jaw went slack. I didn't understand why Red thought that sex was the answer to everything, but I rest assured that she was going to explain to me why it should've happened. ''I don't understand why you haven't hopped on that shit yet.'' She said disappointingly, folding her arms across her chest in mock-disapproval.