16. Stand-in girlfriend

I knew it was the right thing to do. I had to talk to Caitlynn. I missed my best friend.

I made my way to her locker first thing the next morning.

"Hey," I greeted her.

"Hey." She said turning back to her locker and shifting through her things.

"I want to talk." I told her going she would give me all her attention.

"About what?" She crossed her arms across her chest.

"I miss my best friend."

She didn't say anything she just looked at me.

"I'm sorry Caitlynn ok? I didn't mean to get mad at you for inviting Tyler to Anna's."

"You think that's why I'm mad?" She asked.

"Why else would you be mad?" I couldn't think of what else I've done to her.

"You keep things from me. You know think you tell me everything but you don't. You never have, I feel like I don't even know you." She explained.

"Caitlynn how am I supposed to tell you things when you invite Tyler everywhere we go? Look if you're happy I'm happy but I just want you to make some time for the two of us to hang out without anyone else."

"If you are so happy for me then why do you hate Tyler?" She questioned.

"I don't hate Tyler." I denied.

"You certainly don't like him."

"If he makes you happy what does it matter what I think?"

"Just tell me what you don't like about him?"

"He changed you Caitlynn and I've heard the way he talks about Zach. I just don't think he's as great as you think he is." I told her.

"Tyler has not changed me he just brings out a new side of me. He's good for me Ella. He's not some bully all the guys joke and pick on each other it's part of being on a team."

I didn't believe that, this wasn't just some team banter, if it was Trevor wouldn't have gotten so angry about it. Trevor had been on a team he would be able to know the difference.

"It's not just some team banter Cait," I tried to explain it to her.

"You're just jealous. Just because you and Kyle didn't work out and the date with Zach didn't work out either doesn't mean you can try to ruin my happiness."

I didn't even recognize the girl standing in front of me. She was supposed to be my best friend, the girl that knew me the best. I knew this wasn't her, Tyler had changed her. She wanted to be the kind of girl she thought he wanted.

"I am not trying to ruin your happiness and if you really think I would do that then maybe I don't know you anymore." I wanted to cry.

"I stood by you through everything, I was there when Holden broke your heart and I was there every night you cried over him and now look how you repay me. I never thought you'd try and get me to hurt the same way you did." She shook her head and stormed off.

It was the final straw. I let the tears flow. I hadn't let myself think about Holden in awhile. Caitlynn had promised to not let me ever think about him again and here she was throwing him back in my face.

I didn't want to deal with this. I just wanted to get out of here. I spun around and sprinted towards the exits.

I almost crashed into someone but I quickly moved out of their way and continued down the hall.

"Ella!" I felt someone grab my arm and stop me.

I turned around to see Zach looking at me concerned.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Come on let's get you out of here." He led me the rest of the way out of the building and we walked to his car.

Once we were both sitting inside he pulled away from the school and soon we were turning into the parking lot in front of a small coffee shop.

I followed him inside and I took a seat while he got us something to drink.

"Talk to me, what happened?" He asked once he sat down across from he.

"I talked to Caitlynn and let's just say it didn't go well." I sighed.

"Maybe you should just give her some more time." Zach suggested.

"No I will not be trying to be friends again until she apologizes. I went up to her and apologized for my part and she did something I can't forgive right away with out a sincere apology."

"What did she do?"

I wanted to tell Zach, I wanted to tell someone but I just did not know who to trust anymore.

"Come on Ella, you look like you need to talk about it and you know I'll listen. I won't tell him."

I sighed and just nodded.

"She brought up Holden. I dated him all through sophomore and into junior year and after we broke up she promised me she wouldn't bring him up again."

Zach reached out and grabbed my hand.

"If you don't want to forgive her you don't have to."

"She's my best friend I didn't think I'd ever had to imagine my life without her by my side."

"You got people that care about you and have your back don't forget that." He grinned.

I was so thankful for Zach he was honestly such a gem.

"Thank you Zach that means a lot."

"And if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. You can talk to me about anything, even Trevor. I know he's my best friend but you can come and rant to me about what you hate or love about him. I promise whatever you say will stay between us."

"I might have to take you up on that offer." I chuckled.

"Consider me your stand in girlfriend." He joked.

"What did I do to deserve you?"

Zach was probably one of the best people I've ever met. He cared about others and he was just so kind. I couldn't imagine not having him in my life.

"You're an amazing person Ella, I am so lucky that you consider me to be your friend."

I smiled at him. He was truly an amazing friend. I didn't deserve his kindness.

A/n:

I swear I'm going to go grey before I leave college. We had to register for classes earlier this week and I didn't get into any of the classes I need for my major. I was super worried it would set me back for trying to graduate early but my advisor said it was fine. I'm going to have a boring semester of electives but what can I do?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I have been really inspired with this book and writing a lot so I appreciate all the support I've gotten from all of you. Every comment and vote and read just makes me more excited to get chapters out.

If you liked this chapter, comment and vote.

-cora Leigh