The Storms Beginning

Class continues on, my full attention handed over to Professor Merrythought. My mind picking up all of the information that she was giving me, my hand moving at a decent pace as I continuously jot down notes on the important things. Suddenly I feel a small tug of my attention and I face down slightly to look towards Riddle, his attention was focused on Professor Merrythought and her lesson, his eyes never faltering. His expression was monotone, yet somehow did not give off a cold feeling, as if he was truly just like everyone else.

I sigh lightly under my breath as my mind officially wonders away from the lesson, and onto my secret mission.

'How the actual hell am I suppose to turn somebody who was born under the influence of a damn love potion and grew up in an unloving area?!' I think to myself, depressed at the idea of a failed mission. 'I mean, am I suppose to woo him? Show him love and care? Should I-'

My thoughts are abruptly stopped by Professor Merrythought asking me a question.

"Well Miss (L/N)? Do you know what the definition of 'Jinx' is?"

I sigh once more, this time a little louder, not out of trying to be rude. I could feel everyone's eyes on me, even Tom Riddle, whom I could see out if the corner of my eye.

"Ma'am," I start off, remembering what we were taught about in my time, "A jinx is one type of a Dark Charm. The effects can be quite irritating and sometimes amusing or entertaining. As a minor type of Dark magic, jinxes have the least severe effects out of the three dark charms."

"Very good, Miss (L/N)! For a moment I thought that you had drifted off."

Professor Merrythought smiles just enough that I could see it as she winks discretely at me.

"No Professor, how could I? I love the way you teach, it's very engaging! Besides, Defense Against the Dark Arts is my favorite class!"

I tell her confidently and honestly. Even though me and Professor Merrythought make eye contact the entire time, I can still see Riddle in my peripheral. At the mention of DADA being my favorite class, I could have sworn that I saw a spark of curiosity in his eyes.

"Why thank you Miss (L/N). Since you enjoy my class so much, why don't you lead us in this next example."

I smile towards Professor Merrythought, happy to lead the class.

"I would love to."

I stand up and walk with Professor Merrythought down the center of all of the tables with confidence. It takes only a minute to get to the front, but as soon as we do Professor Merrythought starts to explain the task.

"Now," a tiny huff escapes Professor Merrythoughts lips before she continues, "Today I would like to talk about immobilizing your opponent."

Small bits of chatter start to pop up at random in different parts of the classroom. Some of them even start to laugh, I guess they think that I'm going to be the one being immobilized.

"I'm going to need one more student to come up and help demonstrate, please."

I look up and scour the room, checking to see if anybody's hands raise to  volunteer as my partner. Nobody. Not a single person.

"If nobody volunteers then I am going to have to pick one of you."

Still nobody.

"Alright then. Mr. Malfoy, would you please come up to the front?"

A couple of people snicker silently to themselves as he stands up and reluctantly walks to the front.

"Thank you! Now, please stand over here!" Professor Merrythought says excitedly as she positions him towards the left side, opposite of me. "And you, Miss (L/N), please stand right there!"