"23

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AMOS UNLATCHED THE HOOKS to the window before he slid it upward. The breeze blew the curtains outward to a small degree as the air chilled the room slowly. Apryl watched as he did, sitting uncomfortably on the bed. They'd went on a second date that night, two weeks after their first, and now was back at Amos' place as she perceived though he'd admitted it was his cousin's residence. He moved away from the window and took a seat on the floor next to it, picking up the unfinished blunt he'd prepared to roll. His tongue licked his lips then rolled out his mouth onto the wood brown paper, damping it. His eyes peered over at Apryl, her seeming standoffish. They'd had a nice night roaming Atlanta, shared laughs, and talked as if they were the best of friends—sharing more than they'd expected in common. "You good?" He asked, tucking the greenery and rolled it tight.

Apryl pushed her former thoughts to the side and nodded. "Yeah, um. .I'm alright." She pulled the strap of her purse from off her shoulder, setting it down on the floor next to her feet. She dropped her hands lightly into her lap as she looked around the room. Amos had really made the place his own, nearly resembling his home back in Virginia. Jordan shoe boxes merged from the side of the walls with the shoes displayed on top of them, a poster of Tupac, Aaliyah, and Sade draped beside each other behind his bed. He felt it was rude to keep his room a mess so he was sure to stay on schedule with washing his own clothes, not doubling the load on Melani. He kept them folded up in a corner on top of his suitcase, still not pushing the feel of temporary away and refusing to use the storage resources such as the closet and drawers.

Her attention adverted back in his direction as she heard the flicks of a lighter. The spark lit up the spot he sat in the dim room, the moonlight being the only source of light inside. A puff of smoke blew from the blunt before he grabbed it between his index finger and thumb. He stared down at it, his cheeks puffed as if he'd caught a bubble before they flattened. Moments after, he exhaled a cloud of smoke and leaned his head back against the wall. His eyes caught her orbs again and he nodded backward, insinuating for her to come over there. She scooted down on the bed closer to where he sat. "You must not be comfortable with smoking or something?" She thought back on the times her father and the people he surrounded himself around smoked or simply in the same house. She disagreed. "No, i don't have a problem with it. It's nothing, seriously."

"You ever smoked?" He interrogated, pulling from the blunt again as the opposite end sparked. She nodded, chuckling a bit at her first time doing so. "Yeah, once." Amos became intrigued then, leaning up farther towards her figure and had listening ears now. Hearing a story about a pretty, good girl like her engaging in what most may view as ghetto excited a guy like him. Apryl shook her head no, covering her lower mouth with the back of her hand. She grinned hard then tucked her lips, shaking her head. "Uhuh, you don't need to know all that."

He smirked, holding the substance off to the side as it simmered away slowly. His lips separated as he assumed, "Let me guess, something nasty? A lot of you girls get freaky off some shit, I'm not gonna lie." He finished off with a snigger. He placed the blunt back between his lips, taking a pull as she gasped. She crossed her lips and retorted, "What makes you think that? What if I'm a virgin?" She tilted her head with sass and folded her arms tightly. He looked up into her face, trying to read through her transparent demeanor for the truth. He looked over her frame down to her feet then returned to her face. He shrugged his shoulders. "I could see it, you could be, but I can tell you're a freak or can be."

She gave him an uncertain look so he added on, saying, "No offense." She wasn't offended, though. Little did he know, she felt as though she was. Though only doing it once, it seemed her drive grew rapidly ever since. She replied, "I guess," and let out a soft sigh, running her nails through her wand curls as they'd only bounce back into place. She glanced back over at him and squeezed her thighs together. His eyes begin to grow low and shaded a tint of red, his state of intoxication rising. He'd exhaled another cloud before leaning his head back on his neck and licked his lips. Apryl bit down on her bottom lip just as he did his with his eyes closed. The open window kept the room from containing a smoky smell and kept a cool draft inside but yet she still felt her skin moist of sweat from heat. She slid off the bed, down onto his lap.