chapter 14: star player

"I still can't believe he said all of that," Isla frowns as she leans back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest. "Who the hell says stuff like that anymore?"

"Assholes?" I smirk before sighing, tucking my hair behind my ears as I go back to scribbling in my notebook. My mind running in aimless circles trying to figure out what I do from here. "It's not a big deal."

"It is a big deal," Isla shakes her head.

After convincing my mom to give her marriage the rest of the year, I went into my room and talked with Isla and Robyn until two in the morning. They were in utter disbelief of what happened. Isla concerned about how I was feeling with it, while Robyn just wanted to kick his ass. A part of me didn't care anymore.

I got my mom to give my dad another chance, and that's really the only thing I care about. My family is the most important thing to me and my first concern over everything else.

Now it's lunch period and the two of us are sitting in the news room in the library waiting for Mrs. Arthur to get here for the meeting. It's not unusual for her to call meetings outside after school activity, but it never usually happens the same day we have meetings after class. Whatever it is she wants to talk about requires all of us to be here and is clearly urgent if it couldn't wait until after hours.

"It's really not," I shake my head. "It's basically forgotten. Felix is the least of my worries, trust me."

"Do you want me to get Miles to kick his ass?" She asks.

A laugh falls from my lips. "Don't tell me I have to convince you it's fine. I already had to talk Greyson, Riker and Isaac out of giving him a piece of their mind."

Isla smiles gently. "They're just looking out for you, Vee."

"I know."

She nods in response before moving up in her seat. "How are things with your parents?"

I turn my head at the mention of them, realizing I spent so much time talking about Felix with them the night before that I never got the chance to share the news. My brothers didn't even know I had convinced her to try harder, for at least a little longer. Maybe nine months is a long time to try, but I know it'll be worth it. They got lost along the way but they can find their way back to each other. 

I just know it.

"They aren't going to file for divorce yet," I smile softly. "I managed to get my mom to hold out until the end of the school year, at least. I still haven't talked to my dad though."

"You have to give him a chance to explain himself."

I nod, but I still can't face him.

He hurt me.

More than anyone in this whole world ever has.

My favorite person. My protector. My hero.

He made me a promise and then threw it in my face. I know I'm being harsh on him, but he needs to understand why what he did hurt me so badly. I need time to figure out my own thoughts before I can talk to him, even if I do miss him.

"I will," I assure her. "Just, not yet."

"Okay."

"Hey guys," Miss. Arthur comes into the room, stopping at the front of the room with the white board and a clipboard in her arms. "Sorry for giving you all such short notice, but we need to add a few things to the issue going out this month."

"Why? What's wrong with it?" One of our fellow writers ask from her spot at the front, her notebook open ready to jot down anything important.

I turn my head in Isla's direction who just rolls her eyes at me before laughing quietly. Isla only joined the paper because she needed something to add to her college applications and didn't want to be alone, so it was either join the paper with me or cheer with Robyn. Thankfully for me, Isla has no sense of rhythm or athletic ability.