I: FIRST DAY JITTERS

chapter one; first day jitters

LYRIC'S SUMMER WAS, I GUESS YOU could say: eventful

LYRIC'S SUMMER WAS, I GUESS YOU could say: eventful. she spent most of her time with her parents. she learned how to bake rhubarb pie from her mother in which she had to swear to never reveal the secret ingredient to anyone; and she went out with her dad a lot in muggle london to "people watch" as he liked to call it (she teased him and told him that that was just a fancy word for stalking). she only got to see rosie a few times over break, but she didn't mind. she wanted - no needed - time to herself.

her parents babied her all summer and she knew exactly why. she knew exactly why her mother finally revealed the secret ingredient to her famous pie, why her dad took her out to do his favorite activity almost every day, and why rosie sent her almost every single sweet from honeydukes. it was because lyric parker had experienced one of the most painful feelings in the entire world: her first heart break.

noah had broken up with her - ending a seven month relationship - claiming that she was too boring and uptight for him. lyric watched and read tons of movies and books about love and relationships - hell her dad even wrote some stories about it, but she never understood the feeling. she didn't understand why the heartbroken girl or boy would lock themselves away from the world. why they would feel the need to end it all because of a simple "it's just not working anymore."

but oh did she finally understand. for two months she locked herself away in her room shielding herself from the sunshine and company of her loved ones. she ate less and spent nights crying and wondering what she did wrong (when in reality everyone knew she did absolutely nothing wrong). she prided herself in being a strong woman but somehow that boy tore her down and she felt so so weak.

she didn't think she could give her heart over to someone ever again if it meant that she would end up feeling like this. it was like she was in a tank full of water; suffocating and she couldnt get out. there was this never ending weight on her heart and a feeling that there was a dementor following her every step.

but as september rolled around the corner and the days became shorter and nights longer, lyric started to get out of bed more and soak in the last bit of summer sun. she started eating again and helping around the house. maybe it was the fact that she would be going back to hogwarts, or the love her parents gave her, or even the constant letters from rosie assuring her that she would be okay in the end. whatever it was, it helped her to regain some of her confidence and happiness back. she needed to be strong again and to not let anyone tell her what she was worth.

"lyric honey, it's time to head over kings cross." her mum called from downstairs. lyric quickly packed the last of her books and ran downstairs.

the ride to the train station was short and filled with her dad asking her an abundance of questions involving the wizarding world like "so what exactly are crumple-horned snor-thingys." and "okay so the chasers pass the waffle around to get points right?"

lyric laughed as her mother scolded her husband for asking so many questions. this seemed to happen every time they dropped her off.

if it wasn't already obvious - her parents were muggles, which would make her a muggleborn. this was not something lyric was ashamed of. sure it was a dangerous time to be muggleborn in the wizarding world but lyric wouldnt trade her blood status for anything. she loved her parents and loved muggle things. she liked living in muggle london, riding the tube, using the telephone, and she especially loved electricity. she had the best of both worlds.

her family ran through the barrier (which made her parents squeal in delight every single time) and onto platform 9 3/4.

"you have everything packed right? havent forgotten anything at home?" her mother asked while giving her only daughter a tight hug.

"ive got everything mum dont worry." she sniffled. even though she loved hogwarts with every fiber in her body, she was going to miss her parents. she had always been close to them but this summer they had grown attached by the hip.

"don't get into too much trouble kiddo." her dad winked as she laughed and hugged him.

"don't worry i'll send you both loads of owls and sweets." she assured them.

"LYRIC PARKER!" a high pitched voiced yelled before lyric was tackled into a bone crushing hug by none other than her best friend rosie clark. "merlin i've missed you!" rosie said into lyric's shoulder.

lyric laughed and instantly felt happier. "of course you did. i am an absolute joy to be around!"

rosie hit her lightly and moved over to greet lyric's parents. while rosie was talking about who knows what with the parkers, lyric took in her surroundings.

she admired the look of the scarlet train she would be riding for the last time before she graduated and the faces of the nervous first years eager to find out what house they would be in. she was also anxious and prayed that she would not get a glimpse of her past lover - she hoped that maybe he had transferred.

while lyric was admiring everything around her she didn't realize that just a few feet away, a certain red headed twin was doing the same to her. she was a sight for sore eyes, in her yellow sundress that fell mid thigh and freshly cut hair which fell to her chest instead of her waist now.

fred noticed that the girl had gotten slightly tanner and was jealous that the sun was able to kiss her skin. he also noticed that she had gotten a bit thinner and that her smile didn't reach her eyes like it use to. he, like everyone else in the school, knew what had happened between her and noah. lee had told him and his siblings what had happened over the summer and fred swore that he would make sure to hit the bludger extra hard at thompsons face when they would play ravenclaw.

he knew he had to look away before she would catch him, but it was just too hard. he was captivated by her. the sun shined down on her making her look like an actual goddess which made his stomach feel funny. even from just a few feet away he could hear her melodic laughter that slipped past her lips as her friend whispered something to her.

fred squeezed his eyes shut trying his best to push down those past feelings. he didn't want to admit to himself that he was still head over heels for the hufflepuff but everyone saw right through him - even though he denied every comment that was sent his way about the girl.

he knew deep down that a girl as perfect as lyric parker could never see a poor boy like fred weasley in the same light as he saw her (which felt like a curse to his heart).

this led him to the decision that this was the year that he would find someone else to occupy his mind with. he would find a new distraction or maybe even distractions. he didn't know. all he knew was that he had to get lyric out of his head and away from his heart and that was going to be harder than all his N.E.W.T.s combined.

"fred what are you staring at?" his mother questioned. she noticed that fred wasn't paying much attention to saying goodbye or even to what they were saying to harry and how things were going to be different this year. she noticed that he had this look on his face that she had never seen on her son before.

"nothing mum don't worry about it. just lost in thought i guess." he assured her before giving her a hug and boarding the train with the rest of his siblings including harry and hermione.

both lyric and fred hoped that this year would be better for the both of them.

•••

i really hope that people are liking this story. it means so much when people vote and comment - it gives me a drive to continue writing. i always lose interests in my stories and i really don't want to lose it for this!