Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Steve's POV

Daddies die. Mama tried to lie to make us feel better, but I knew that daddy was gonna die soon. She cried last night when she thought we were sleeping, she wore one of daddy's shirts and she slept on his side of the bed. She cried herself to sleep every night, but I pretended like I was asleep, my other mom said that sometimes you have to let people cry so that they feel better, but I was tired of seeing my mama cry, so I was going to try and make everything better, I wanted her to be happy.

The doctor gave mama medicine so that she could go to sleep at night so I knew she wouldn't wake up when I moved off the bed with Jamie and we started on our trip to see daddy.

"Come on Jamie, we gotta be real quiet, okay?"

We held hands as we made our way through the pack house, trying our hardest to be quiet but that didn't quite work out.

Uncle Mike was in the kitchen and he didn't even turn around when he started talking.

"You two should be sleeping, not going on adventures at three in the morning, your mom is going to be worried if she wakes up and you aren't there."

He turned around with a plate of cookies in his hand. He heard us coming, I have to do better spy work. He put the cookies on the table and helped Jamie into his seat with the special chair so that he could reach the table and I climbed into my seat.

"So where were you two little spies headed?"

"Gonna make daddy better."

"Shhh, Jamie, it's supposed to be a secret."

He shook his head at me and pointed at Uncle Mike.

"Uncle can help Stevie."

"Come on Steve, tell me what your master plan is."

I chewed on my lips, maybe he could help us, he is a grownup and grownups can do stuff like this easy.

"We wanna help daddy get better, mamas real sad all the time and we miss him a whole bunch."

He sighed real deep like adults do when they're about to lie.

"Steve, your dad isn't doing so good right now, he's really sick."

"Daddy's gonna die, mama doesn't wanna tell us but I know he is so you don't have to lie."

"We don't know for sure buddy."

He was lying.

"Is it my fault? My last daddy died and this one is too. Is it because of me?"

"No, no Steve, I promise this isn't your fault. A bad person hurt him and that's their fault, not yours, you didn't do anything wrong, I can promise you that, I can't promise that your dad will get better but I can promise you that this isn't your fault."

He was lying, that lady, Elaine, she said that if I didn't do what she said she'd get someone to hurt my daddy and then I got sick so they found out that I was hurt so she got someone to hurt him, just like she said.

"How about I take you two to see your dad really quick, then it's off to bed with the both of you before your mom wakes up.

"Okay."

Uncle Mike carried us both to the hospital and didn't put us down until we got to daddy's room.

"Titus, I've got two little escapees here to see you."

He tried to make a joke, but no one laughed. Daddy looked worse than he did earlier and I felt bad because I knew how to make him better so I knew what I had to do to make everything better.

We stayed for a little while before Jamie started yawning and Uncle Mike made us give daddy his goodbye kisses and took us back to bed.

When Jamie fell asleep, I snuck out of bed and went to me and Jamie's room. I dropped down and grabbed the phone that Elaine had given me the last time I saw her, when she said she'd hurt Jamie if I didn't let her burn me with the lighter.

I wanted to cry but I didn't, I was a big boy and I was going to help my family, I loved them, and I didn't want them to die like my old family. There was one phone number that was saved, and I clicked on it fast before I could chicken out like a baby. The phone rang three times before a voice that made me shiver spoke.

"Hello Steven, I see you've decided to make the right decision."

I took a deep breath so that I wouldn't cry like I wanted to, I was a big boy.

"I don't want my daddy to die."

The voice chuckled.

"Then you've called the right person. Someone will come to your room tomorrow night, follow everything that they say, and your daddy will live."

"Okay."

"Make sure you kiss your family goodbye young Steven, you won't see them again."

Tony's POV

I laughed, amused at the sheer stupidity of children.

I'd have exactly what I need to win this war.

A hostage.

-----------------------------------------

This was super spur of the moment. Maybe one more update this week. Mardi Gras is here so I probably won't be updating for another few weeks. 184k! Insane!