(58) Overwhelmed by Favor from a Superior, Thank You oh

When those military officials, aides and advisors became dizzy, with blurry vision and loss of strength in their hands and feet, they supported each other and left. Afterwards, Xiao Xu looked at the stack of examination papers before him. His finger lightly knocked on the table, his eyebrows lowering in contemplation. His complexion was somewhat ugly, with his pair of eyes slightly narrowed.

One must adopt an amicable manner towards children, like the warmth of spring. ——Amicable manner? What kind of attitude was that? Too abstract, impossible!

Ask and you shall supply. ——This he could do, as long as it wasn't too excessive.

Constantly accompany the person. ——Could do with great difficulty.

......

Xiao Xu picked and chose, filtering out the ones that barely looked pleasing to the eyes, only then did his expression relax.

And Fire Spirit, who stood at the side, witnessed with his own eyes the usually formidable and mighty generals and great scholars, who brandished their swords calmly, smiling while conversing with ease, when they saw the examination paper with a topic they normally would never think of, every one of their eyeballs was about to pop out. After they racked their brains and finished writing, every one of them looked like eggplants that were hit by early frost, losing all their usual high-spirited attitude. He choked it back during this whole scene, he wanted to laugh but didn't dare to laugh, afraid he would be punished by Master.

Only when his gaze turned to His Highness sitting behind the desk, and he saw His Highness's serious expression as if treating this like a military campaign, did Fire Spirit recompose himself, having pensive thoughts in his heart. It was hard to imagine that this Chu Qing-Yan could actually make Master do this kind of thing with such resolve. Moreover, this resolve clearly exceeded the understanding he had of His Highness after being by his master's side for more than a dozen years. It really amazes people ah!

Just while Fire Spirit was daydreaming, he heard His Highness's voice ring out.

"Inform Huang Yi that when she delivers the medicinal congee from now on, she should take along a plate of fruit preserved in honey."

Fire Spirit was flabbergasted, once again, he couldn't keep up with Master's tempo.

After he finished giving the instructions, Xiao Xu looked at the examination papers in his hand with satisfaction.

The first rule from the classics of child-rearing: little children love sweets, occasionally one can give some dessert to coax them.

When Huang Yi received Fire Spirit's instructions, she was also very puzzled in every way. His Highness hated any kind of desserts or fruits, why would he suddenly change his temper today to have some prepared for Chu family's little miss ah? However, it's best not to guess at Master's thoughts, so Huang Yi still sincerely and honestly went to prepare it.

Dinner time arrived.

Seeing Xiao Xu walking towards her, Chu Qing-Yan looked at him like she saw a big enemy approaching and couldn't help but tug at her quilt. Her heart was full of limitless sorrow, yet another round of torture was about to start.

But outside of her expectations, on that tray, was a small dish of fruit preserved in honey. She blinked her eyes and cast a questioning look towards Xiao Xu.

Xiao Xu faintly said, "The medicinal food is slightly bitter, eating something sweet will help dilute the taste."

Chu Qing-Yan heard this and immediately, both eyes released bright light. The medicinal food was really too bitter. She didn't know what kind of grudge or complaint this person that gave the prescription had for her. This medicinal congee was bitter like eating a Chinese goldthread. She had wanted to eat something preserved in honey from earlier, but because Xiao Xu was here, she didn't dare open her mouth. Now that he took the initiative and thought considerately of this for her, it really hit close to her heart ah.