AUSSIE ACCENTS

This would have to be one of my most hated hates in the world of fiction. Not just fanfics and other Wattpad stories.

JUST BECAUSE A CHARACTER HAS A FREAKING AUSTRALIAN ACCENT DOESN'T MEAN THAT MAKES THEM ANY LESS HUMAN!!!!

It also doesn't turn them into a friggin Southerner.

^_^ Just because I'm an Aussie doesn't mean I don't know what a Southerner is. Because before I go and make misconceptions about people, stereotypes and religions, I actually go and research shit. 😱 And I don't just get my research from fucking Crocodile Dundee! Or South Park! Or the Simpsons. And not just the internet either. I actually go talk to people! 😱

Yes, talk to people!

That involves one person actually opening their mouth and making vibrations with their throats to create legible noise.

Not LOL OMG GTG TTYL ILY RYCBAR #YOLO

In human that translates to "That was so funny I am laughing out loud. Oh my gosh, I've got to go. I'll talk to you later. I love you, and run you clever boy and remember, you only live once."

Okay so maybe the main protagonist of the thing I just referenced does have a possibility to have a crap load of regenerations but shuddup. It was the only thing I could think to bridge YOLO in. This is getting off track.

Why must us Aussies be under constant ridicule?

Okay, so in Final Fantasy there are these two characters.

Cid Highwind

Bad-fucking-ass chain smoking pilot and mechanic, I'd guess he's in his late 30's to mid 40's and he has a Southern accent.

Oerba-Yun Fang

Bad ass motherfucker, who in XIII is the oldest chick on the planet, but looks to be in her twenties. She has an Australian accent.

1)"Come on, youngin's, we gotta be goin'."

2)"Come on y'all, we best be goin'."

So who do you think says what?

If you said Fang for 2 and Cid for 1 you'd be incorrect!

Now I'm not picking on a certain author, I think her works are still great, but it just pisses me off how much people make it out that Aussies speak like frigging southerners.

People! I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT MOST AUSSIES DON'T TALK LIKE THAT!

Now, using two actual quotes, who says what?

1)"I figured I've gotta be the oldest hag on the planet by now. Not that I'll ever act my age, though. Where's the fun in that?"

2)"Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!"

Fang=1

Cid=2

(And am I the only one who realises that they always describe Oerba-Yun Fang and Oerba-Dia Vanille's accents as Australian when there is no such thing as Australia in the Final Fantasy world? Why do they never describe it as Pulsian, or Oerban?)

I think the only people who should be able to get away with shi like this are Aussies themselves.

So, don't make Aussie accents sound like Southern accents and I won't get pissed off.

Okay?

Okay.

😃👍

Edit: yes 'twas clever that SE made the Pulsian accent Australian, because of them being the whole land down under thing. That's actually smart. What the whole point of this rant is people taking an accent and just . . . bastardising it. I used Aussie accents as an example because I am freaking Australian. I'm sure the other ethnic groups hate it when their accents are blown out of proportion as well.