Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

- OAKLEY HALSTON -

- OAKLEY HALSTON -

"Mom I'm going off to college, not war." I tease her as I place the final box in the back of my jeep. A mixture of feelings floods through me as I look upon all my belongings packed up. "I promise to come visit as often as I can"

"I know you will." I watch as her eyes fill with even more unshed tears and her chin wobbles. " I am going to miss you so much."

A piece of my heart broke for her, I couldn't imagine how lonely she would be living on her own, in our now - big empty house. I had to mentally remind myself that I would be visiting often and I wasn't just saying it for effect.

"I'm gonna miss you too Mama." I smiled through my own tear-filled eyes and reached out to hug her. She grasped me tightly for a minute or two before finally letting go.

"There is a twenty in the glove box just in case."

"Momma" I start before she hushes me grabbing both my hands in hers. I watch closely as she releases me and turns to the open door of the jeep. She opens the lid to one of the last few boxes we packed and pulls out a small brown book a folded paper before handing them to be.

I don't remember packing them myself and assume that she must have done it herself.

"Here's a Bible and a map, if you ever find your self lost" Her tear-filled eyes reach mine once more as she pulls me in for a final hug." I am so undeniably proud of you." She whispered into my ear, Holding me tight.

Once she pulls away her arms remain on my shoulders and she holds me at arm's length, examining me one more time. "Alright, you better get going. I expect a phone call once you get there and settle in."

"Yes Ma'am" I assure her before stepping away from and moving around to the driver's door. I take only a moment more to soak in the sight before me. The tall pastel blue house that held most of the memories from my childhood, A tall oak tree in the front yard where my first dog was buried, and the huge open fields that surrounded. My eyes finally landed on my mother standing in the driveway with tears rolling down her face, I try to give her my best reassuring smile as one of my own tears falls. "I love you, Mama."

"I love you more." She promises, holding her clenched hands to her chest.

Without another glance, I open the car door and climb inside. I quickly bring the engine to life before throwing it in drive and pull out of the driveway. The tears began to roll down my face as I pull on to the road an press the gas pedal. Once out of sight from my mother I grab my phone from the cupholder and type in the desired address into my GPS app.

It takes only ten minutes to get to 1-77 my house and before I know it I'm in route to The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The tears soon dry as I grow more and more excited for it is to come. I still can't help but glance back as I pass the welcome sign at the edge of town.