Chapter 6

Ruth's uneasiness only escalated as the Quinjet landed on the runway of the Avengers base. After telling Bucky of her hesitation with how Natasha would react to seeing Ruth walk into SHIELD without handcuffs, he tried to reassure her that everything would be fine.

The problem with Bucky's reassurance was that the last time Natasha saw Ruth, Ruth was working against SHIELD, extracting data from a Russian server that ended up in Hydra's hands.

"Steve," Ruth stopped him as he walked past her to open the jet door, catching him before he did so. "Does Stark know that I'm coming here?"

Steve could read the concern on Ruth's face. "He knows we went out on a rescue mission."

"A rescue mission?" Ruth was dumbfounded. She glanced over at Bucky who was unloading things across the way. She wasn't a prisoner, she was a criminal. "Does Tony know who I am?"

Steve paused and furrowed his brows.

"Do you know who I am?" Ruth breathed.

Steve could see what she was saying wasn't out of arrogance, it was guilt. "Bucky told me enough to make me know that you needed help, not a prison cell. I'll talk to Tony."

Ruth shook her head, "But you don't know what I've done."

Steve glanced over at Bucky, then back at Ruth. "The thing is, Ruth. You'll find out that most of us at this base have done things in our lives, our careers, that make us wish we never saw the light of day. The good thing is, you're trying. That's all I can ask for."

Ruth scoffed, she couldn't believe it. What did she do to earn any kind of forgiveness?

"Ready to head out?" Steve announced loudly enough for Sam and Bucky to hear. The Quinjet doors lowered.

Sam and Bucky both shouted agreements, Steve looking out the door, avoiding Ruth's gaze. Ruth continued to stand where she was, still hesitant of even leaving this plane. She wished she could go into a cell. It would make things so much easier.

The four of them walked across the back lot of the base to the main building, Ruth breathing in the refreshing air around her. She had to admit to herself that she was exhausted, but looking up into the night sky the stars seemed to fill her with peace, a reassurance that this world was probably far bigger than anything she knew. The dew in the air held a cool breeze against her face. The extensive facility loomed ahead of her, but right now Ruth tried to bring her focus to the starlight and the only shadow that she was ever comfortable with walking beside her.

Steve and Sam led the way from a distance, Steve knowing if anyone was in the living room when they all arrived, he would have to do explain some things.

"Steve, I'm not sure about this. We literally just arrived to this base the other day and, as much as I hate to admit it, our relationship with Tony is not good right now," Sam told Steve honestly, walking beside him while glancing back at Ruth and Bucky behind them.

"I know Sam, it's just...Bucky is adamant about this. He obviously trusts her and we have to trust his judgement."

"Ok, I'm sorry Steve, but I don't exactly trust Bucky yet. I know that he was under that...mind control or whatever, but he did try to kill me a couple of years ago. And he can be kind of a smart-ass," Sam continued, trying to keep a lightheartedness in his voice, knowing how much Steve cared about Barnes.

Steve sighed.

"And, honestly, do we even know if we can trust Bucky's judgement on this? It's been over three years since he's seen this girl who left him. Who knows what she could have been doing while she was away? What if she wants to be here?" Concern flooded Sam's voice.