Chapter 15

Details of the plans had been laid out for everyone through the last couple of hours. The Quinjet full of fuel, and full of equipment. The massive jet housed a surveillance van, as well as providing everyone on board with places to rest for the long flight.

Everyone buzzed throughout the hangar, Steve and Sam loading equipment, Natasha getting the tech set up, and Bucky supplying ammo.

Ruth suddenly felt wildly out of place. She didn't know everyone here. She hadn't worked with them before. Where was her place?

Tony walked by to check with Steve before flying out, Ruth caught up to him before he boarded the plane.

"Hey, Tony, I need to ask you something," Ruth started.

"Go ahead."

"You said you had undercover outfits for Bucky and I to wear, so I'm guessing I have a dress."

Tony nodded.

"I just...I have scars on my arms and back, and...I can't wear something revealing without those being exposed. People can recognize scars easily, I don't want to be so identifiable," She explained.

Tony's voice was sympathetic, "Like I said, Ruth. I gotcha covered."

Ruth watched as Tony made his way up the jet ramp. She couldn't believe this, she didn't want to believe this. What did people see in her that would make them feel any kind of sympathy for her?

Ruth helped load in the final boxes before grabbing her things and setting them inside one of the lounge rooms off to the left side of the plane.

"Buckle down, everyone. Let's head out," Steve announced throughout the space.

Sam and Natasha sat in the cockpit, starting up the Quinjet, it's engines waking up with a steady purr. Ruth could feel the high technology motors steadily lifting them all off the ground.

Steve, Bucky, and Ruth sat in the metal padded chairs attached to the side panels of the plane during lift off, waiting to become steady and comfortably in the air before moving around.

"I want a rematch," Sam announced as he got up from the cockpit, Natasha putting the jet on autopilot.

"You want to get beat again that badly, huh?" Bucky taunted, nudging Ruth with his arm.

"Ok, Bucky, that was beginner's luck." Sam turned to Ruth, "I'm guessing you've never played poker before, huh?" He asked her.

"Oh no, I've played poker quite a bit, actually. Learning to read people's bluffs is kind of an important part of my job. Or...was," Ruth replied.

Sam crossed his arms over his chest, a smug look on his face. "Yeah? Well, I don't know if you know this about me, Ruth, but I am a champion at seven card stud."

Ruth straightened up and leaned back against her seat, "It sure didn't seem like you could bluff for anything when I destroyed you in Battleship."

"It's like that?" Sam mused, giving a laugh. "It's on."

Going into the first lounge room, one with a continuation of sleek, matte metal walls and bright lights, everyone besides sat around the small card table in the room and prepared as if there was a battle ahead. A vast array of poker chips were scattered across the table, Sam briefly suggesting they bet real money to only have the idea shot down by Steve.

Sam's confidence only carried him so far, Ruth and Bucky both dangerous at how well they could read people's bluffs. Steve was especially easy to read, quickly becoming the one with the fewest amount of chips at the table.

A couple of short hours later, Sam was becoming fed up with how quickly this young assassin was taking over his confidence. Ruth's poker face was impeccable, both her and Bucky with such stern facial expressions you didn't know if they were still bluffing in poker or planning to kill you.

"Alright, I'm taking a break," Steve announced, standing to stretch his legs, going to the cockpit to make sure the journey was running smoothly. Sam followed him out, needing to walk around after sitting down for so long.

Ruth stayed in her seat, stretching her arms over her head and twisting her shoulders. She yawned, and Bucky noticed, even though she tried to hide it, along with the redness of her eyes.

"Why don't you go into the next room and get some rest?" Bucky suggested gently. He didn't want to overstep his boundaries. "There are a couple of bunks in there with curtains on each one. It's pretty comfortable," he continued.

"I guess we're all going to have to get some rest at some point," Ruth began. She couldn't get past the paranoia. She could tell herself a thousand times that no one would harm her while she slept, but did she know that for sure? And when she was asleep, she couldn't escape the nightmares. Ruth wished she never had to sleep. What was the point of it anyway?

"Yeah," Bucky said with a smile, encouraging her. "Might as well get a head start on the rest of us."

Ruth hesitated, looking down at her hands. She then nodded, standing from her seat. "I'll be back in a couple of hours," she told him, making her way towards the door.

"Take your time, Ruth. Please," Bucky pleaded.

Ruth turned to him as she stood in the doorway, nodding, acknowledging the sincerity in his words, hoping someday she would believe it.

Ruth settled in to a top bunk, keeping off the ground providing her with a sense of security. The floor to ceiling bunks provided each bed with a curtain, just as Bucky had told her. As she closed it, and the darkness enveloped the space, Ruth couldn't help but move back to as close to the wall as she could, focusing on the curtain as if it would open any minute. She told herself to close her eyes, focusing on the fact that James was here. No one was going to come in.

Her mind began to drift almost immediately, thoughts and memories dancing through her head as she began to fall asleep. Ruth had to continually remind herself that James was here. Or, more specifically, she was here with him. This place was something different than anything she's known. It's not kill or be killed, it's not kill to make a living, or kill due to commands or threats, they have something different. The Avengers, a group of people that seemed too far off to even comprehend getting close to, they had something Ruth had never seen before. They trusted each other. They worked together. Not because of fear, not because of forced obligation, but because they chose to. For the first time Ruth realized what Ryker spoke of when he told her the difference between their facility in Sweden and SHIELD. These people chose to be here. They chose to be together.

Is this what a family is like?