Chapter 1

"This is your ten minute warning, class! Ten minutes left to go. I can still see that some of you are only on the second page, so you guys better get moving or you're not going to finish in time!" 

I doodled on my test paper, having finished the Biology paper at least twenty minutes ago. Ms. Swanson's boisterous voice had made me lose focus and I'd accidentally drawn a jagged line instead of a curvy one. 

Irritated, I grabbed my eraser and gently rubbed away the jagged line, being careful not to disturb the others.

As I drew away, I suddenly felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. I turned a little, only to see that the boy next to me was obviously trying to copy down my answers. 

Our eyes connected for the briefest second before he quickly looked back at his test, pretending to not notice me glaring directly at him.

I hate cheaters.

I considered raising my hand and calling him out in front of the entire class, but ultimately decided against it. There was no need to cause a scene, and I didn't want to be known as a tattle-tale.

Instead, I flipped over my test paper to the back, and began doodling all over again.

Ten minutes passed, and as the bell rang, I made sure to hand in my test quickly so I could catch the cheater before he disappeared. Thankfully, Ms. Swanson accepted my test rather happily, and I was able to grab my bag and make it out the door -- coming face to face with the cheater.

"Hey," I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes. "That wasn't cool."

The guy ignored me and continued walking.

I furrowed my brow. Jerk. "Hey!" I called loudly, running up to him and grabbing his arm. He stopped with an irritated sigh, looking back at me. 

"What?" He asked, in a bored, lazy drawl.

Oh, so he's one of those types. The ones who think they're so cool just because they don't try in class.

I took in a breath, making sure to keep myself calm and collected. "I saw what you were doing in class today. You were trying to copy off of my paper."

"No, I wasn't." The boy looked down at my hand around his arm. "Can you let go?"

I let go, slightly embarrassed. I hadn't realised I was still holding on. Still, I tried to look tough as he started to turn away. "You want to explain the Krebs Cycle to me, then?"

The boy let out a short laugh. "Leave me alone, good girl. Go harass someone else."

"I'm not a -" I was going to protest, but he cut me off.

"You're not a what?" The boy suddenly came towards me and leaned in close. I could suddenly smell his cologne, enveloping him like a hug. "You're not a good girl, right?"

I rolled my eyes, trying to appear nonchalant. "Well, you're just an asshole."

The boy smirked, eyes glimmering. "And you're right about that, honey."