Chapter 43

Fívє Mσnthѕ Agσ

Fívє Mσnthѕ Agσ.

Like a wounded lion, Billion paced back and forth in the spacious office. He checked his wristwatch again, his patient running thin as he regarded the empty swivel seat and the file on the waxed desk.

Where the hell is he?

Seconds after Billion's cross-question, the lawyer paraded into the office with a young couple trailing behind him.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, Mr. Dekker. The traffic downtown was that bad." Lewis then said to Billion's hearing alone, "Did she sign it?"

"Yeah," Billion mouthed back.

"Told you it will work." he gave Billion a triumphal pat on the shoulder and rounded the desk to his seat.

"Mr. Dekker, meet Mr. and Mrs. Luther, our witnesses."

"Thank you for coming," Billion said.

"Glad we could help and we are sorry about your fiancee. Mr. Brown told us she had an emergency surgery," the woman said.

Billion shared a contentious look with Lewis, and the latter offered him a closed-lip smile as if telling him to play along; so he did.

"Indeed... my fiancee and I are very grateful to you," Billion told the couple who in turn gave him assuring smiles.

"OK, shall we begin." Lewis beckoned the trio over to his desk.

At the end of the day, Billion signed the marriage certificate with a heavy heart-and got the signature of a court clerk in the person of his own best friend Lewis, and that of equally verified witnesses.

When the couple walked out of Lewis office, the lawyer dug into his pants pocket and fished out the rings.

"Here you go... don't worry, it's blessed by father Cisco like you requested." Hesitantly, Billion took the diamond pieces from him.

"Welcome to the hubby league my friend."

Lewis gave him a manly pat on the back, but Billion whose gaze was fixed on the rings didn't even twitch.

"What's wrong with you man?"

"I don't have a good feeling about this. I mean the girl is literally married without her knowledge... we should have told her instead of conning her into this," Billion stressed.

"Miles you know I can't risk my license any further. I have a family to cater for and believe me, NYPD would be knocking on our doors by now if Emery had seen a marriage certificate with all her personal data staring back at her."

"I'm sorry. It's just... what if she finds out later on and flips?"

"Relax, she will only find out if we file the cert. I mean, her name will automatically change so, but the hard copy equally verifies this union so don't worry about a thing."