Chapter 23 - Confession/Confusion (Apr-May)

Zoya didn't show up for their meetings the next day, or the day after that. She would come to the site, to the hotel but actively avoided interacting with Aditya. This went on for the better part of the next week.

He knew he had stepped on her toes that day. It wasn't his fight yet he had interfered and affected it adversely. He knew what he had to do now. If only she would give him a chance. But she had been evading him ever since, with success.

A week after their spat, Wasim invited Arjun and Aditya for dinner at their house. Aditya reckoned it would be a good chance for him to finally get Zoya to listen to him.

On Sunday evening, the Siddiquis welcomed the Hooda brothers to their house. Aditya hadn't been to Zoya's house before. Most of the time they had interacted at their resort or at the new site. Situated at a few minutes drive from the town, the Siddiquis owned a huge mansion with sprawling uneven green lawns given the hilly terrain.

Wasim and Roshana welcomed the brothers in the house. Noor soon joined them. The three Siddiquis and Arjun started chatting with Wasim telling them that he wanted to invite them earlier but he had been quite busy. Roshana asked about Anjana and Harsh and Arjun answered their queries.

Aditya tapped his foot impatiently and stole glances at a winding wooden staircase via which Noor had come down. He reckoned Zoya would descend from there too.

Why was she taking so long to come down? Where was she?

Aditya felt a nudge in his arm and realized Arjun was elbowing him. He turned his attention to Arjun who was subtly raising his eyebrows gesturing towards Roshana.

"Umm... I am sorry," he cleared his throat, a bit embarrassed, "You were saying something?"

"I was asking if you liked Musoorie?" she repeated her question, unaware where his attention actually was.

"Yes," he nodded, "It's-."

He stopped speaking abruptly when he saw Zoya walk into the room. Even dressed in a simple beige colored suit, she looked radiant.

Aditya realized he had been staring at her, with her family and his brother waiting for his answer. Their gaze moved forth and back between him and Zoya.

He cleared his throat again, for a second time in a minute, feeling more embarrassed than earlier, "Hi, Zoya." He greeted her.

She gave him a small smile, which he knew was only to prevent raking up their fight from the other day, in front of everyone. She turned to Arjun, "Hi Arjun."

Thankfully for him, no one else had noticed the cold shoulder that she had given him.

Dinner went on smoothly. Aditya stole glances had Zoya who didn't spare him even one look. It reminded him of the time in Ireland when they had fought while trapped in the car and she had behaved in this exact same manner- she was ignoring him.

He needed a chance to talk to her- to explain himself and his actions.

After dinner, Roshana and Zoya headed to kitchen, Noor and Arjun sat on one corner of the huge drawing room, animatedly chatting and Aditya found himself alone with Wasim.

Wasim poured himself a scotch and handed another to Aditya. They were standing near the fireplace.

"How is work progressing?" Wasim asked, taking a sip.

"Good. We'll be sending dad a final report soon."

"Come with me," he said and without waiting for Aditya's answer, guided him to the next room, which was his study and closed the door behind them.