Chapter 35

There were probably three types of people in a restaurant, Jisoo concluded, after she spent an ample amount of time looking around.

First were those who would dig their food without so much as looking up. Not because they were hungry. But because they could not resist food. Their love for food was unparalleled and they would gush and shed a tear, even, because the taste of gastronomical wonders was heavenly on their taste buds. Like how the two women were doing so, sitting three tables away from them. Best of friends on a night out, probably. Or food bloggers, Jisoo thought, considering how they seemed to passionately discuss the food that they ate after long periods of silence, when they were so engrossed with what was on their plates, one after another.

The second type were those who could not seem to touch their food because talking and keeping up with each other's lives was more important. Which was what a group of people sitting on the table next to their's were doing. Probably resulting to wasting a good amount of delicious, sweet smelling food, which Jisoo thought would be a lot useful if given to the hungry, unprivileged children of the world. The thought of them had created a twisted knots on Jisoo’s stomach.

And the third type, and this was funny because she was never aware that these people still exist in this world full of unabashed and colorful amalgams of people and their idiosyncrasies, were those who seemed too awkward and too shy  to even do the first two types. Like Chaeng, who was sitting across Jisoo and had seemed to practice herself the ability to offer Jisoo a smile--an awkward, shy smile that it made her look like she was suffering from a toothache--whenever their eyes would met. Which didn't happen often, considering that the redhead would choose to look around the restaurant, rather than engage herself in a conversation, for the fourth time now. Probably memorizing on her mind the nooks and every little details of the interiors of the place. The wall color was as blue as the Mediterranean Sea.

They were inside a cosy Italian restaurant called Ciuri Ciuri in Sangsu-dong. Chaeyoung particularly asked Jisoo that they shouldn't want to go farther from the district because of her bar. She didn't want to miss the first act later, she reasoned.

“This is weird,” Chaeyoung Park said for the fourth time and settled her eyes on the woman sitting across her.

She would speak those three words after a round of looking around and would then set her eyes on Jisoo between the ‘r’ and ‘d’ whenever she would utter the third word.

And for the fourth time now, Jisoo would respond with a smirk and raised her eyebrows to Chaeyoung Park and would ask:

“Why?”

Not because Jisoo thought it was a necessity to make a conversation happen, although that wasactually what she really wanted, but because she realized she was looking forward for the answer.

The best part about Chaeyoung Park saying “this is weird”, Jisoo realized after the first round of their banter, was her reply to Jisoo’s “Why?” It was amusing how the redhead would seem to have found another reason why she thought the whole setup was weird, after when she was done looking around the whole interior of Ciuri Ciuri.

Perhaps, by looking around and discovering the little things that made the place interesting, in a way that it made you feel like you were actually on a holiday in Sicily, was Chaeyoung’s way of gathering her thoughts and providing herself a list of reasons why she thought it was weird.

The redhead shrugged and said, “I don’t know. This just feels weird,” Chaeyoung answered and laughed this time. “I’ve passed by this place perhaps more than a couple of  times and I’ve never imagined sitting on one of these cosy chairs--,” she tapped the wooden cushioned chair, painted in a lighter shadeof  blue, that she was sitting at, “staring at those straw-hut lampshades above--,” she pointed the small lampshade made of straw-hut, that would remind you of the tropics, that were hung on the ceilings, providing light and aesthetics to the place, “and inhaling all this sweet, delicious, mouth-watering scent of food--,” she inhaled  the strong aroma of saffron and spices from the kitchen, “which I really really like, by the way. I mean, I like food. I love food. Not necessarily the Sicilian food, by the way. And this is just…weird,” Chaeyoung concluded.