Chapter 59

Ruth scrunched her forehead, trying to open her heavy eyelids, the little light entering her vision bright as it peaked through the windows. She could feel that she was laying down, propped up slightly, but on what?

She felt her hand holding something soft, warm. She opened her eyes just enough, struggling, moving her head slightly to the left, the muscles in her neck stiff and sore. She looked to her hand to see it being held in someone else's. Her eyes followed the arm of the person the hand belonged to to see Bucky sound asleep in the chair beside her. Ruth couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable the chair looked. She gazed down at her hand once more, intertwined with Bucky's as he held hers with a delicate strength.

Ruth looked back to Bucky's face, his expression peaceful as he slept. She squeezed his hand slightly, her strength coming back to her.

His eyes opened sleepily, taking a deep breath in before sitting straight up when he realized she was the one who woke him up.

"Hey," He spoke gently, "You're awake." Bucky couldn't help the wide smile on his face. He moved his chair closer to the edge of the bed, stroking her hand with his thumb. "How do you feel?"

Ruth took a breath in, ache shooting through her shoulder. "Sore," She replied, her tired voice still gaining it's strength.

Bucky looked at Ruth with complete adoration in his eyes, his heart soaring that she was awake. "I'm just glad you're ok."

Ruth smiled, as if never before had she seen Bucky more beautiful. She slid laboringly over a bit on her bed, making a space beside her. "Here," She urged, her voice still a bit faint. "This bed's probably a lot more comfortable than that chair."

Bucky gave a small laugh, getting up and sitting on the bed beside her, but facing her, his legs off the edge, never letting go of her hand.

They sat in silence for a moment, Ruth looking at him with a guilt that hit sharply in her heart. "I'm so sorry," She said softly, emotion breaking her voice. "I promised you I wouldn't leave...and I did. I know that I hurt you, and—"

"It's ok, Ruth," Bucky interrupted. "You saved my life. You saved all of our lives. You took Kal down" He shook his head, "I'm just so thankful you're alive."

Ruth sat up straighter in her bed, holding Bucky's hand in both of hers, "I hope you know that you are everything to me."

Bucky smiled, letting go of her hands to take her face gently in his grasp and kiss her, his lips softly pressing against hers, being careful that he wouldn't hurt her. He pulled away just enough to look her in the eyes and say softly, "I love you."

Ruth smiled in a break of emotion, tears building in her eyes. "I love you too." She kissed him back, happiness overflowing through her body, filling her with endless warmth. Overwhelming security holding onto her heart, pushing aside the doubt that haunted her past.

When they pulled away, both smiling ear to ear, Ruth gazed around the room, furrowing her brows slightly. "Where am I?" She asked Bucky, turning her focus back to him.

"Wakanda," He answered, not taking his eyes off of hers, a cheesy smile still on his face.

Ruth raised her eyebrows, "Wakanda? Like where you got your new arm and spent time rehabilitating, Wakanda?"

"Yep," His voice happily replied.

Ruth nodded, looking around the room again, seeing the view through the window to the beautiful landscape. "I like it."

As they kissed again, Ruth wondered how she could have ever doubted for a moment that Bucky was madly in love with her, and that she was just as madly in love with him.