Prolouge

//A/N//:
The metamorphosis of mermaids in this story is inspired by H2O: Just Add Water

Disclaimer: This fanfiction uses the pronouns she/her. 

Since I understand not everyone is comfortable with these pronouns, I would like to recommend a chrome browser extension called 'InteractiveFics' .This extension allows you to not only replace Y/N with your own name, but it can also find and replace key words such as 'she and her' and replace them with 'they and them'. I hope this helps, and I apologize if I inadvertently made anyone feel uncomfortable. 

Much love and happy reading

---

The sun was beaming down on you from where you were resting on the rocks, making your scales shimmer like they were covered in thousands of tiny diamonds. A perk of being in 'fish form' - a word you coined within the first few days of your mysterious metamorphosis.

A few years ago, while on vacation with your family on a private island off the coast of Tahiti, you found yourself walking along the long stretch of beach that outlined the isle. It was just past midnight and you had snuck out of the beach house to enjoy your last night in paradise. Walking along the shore after dark quickly became one of your favorite things shortly after arriving at the island and you didn't want to leave without circling one last time.

At night the water was mesmerizing, like a mirror reflecting the sparkling stars above. The island was home to a species of bioluminescent phytoplankton that emanated an almost enchanting blue glow. Looking at it just once could make even the most skeptical of people believe in magic.

You stepped into the tide as the shimmering waves lapped up the shore, crashing lightly against your feet

You stepped into the tide as the shimmering waves lapped up the shore, crashing lightly against your feet. You closed your eyes for a moment and sighed against the calming feeling that accompanied.

Opening your eyes again, you made your way further down the coast and turned a sharp corner out of sight from the main beach. You knew from previous trips that you had to jump onto a few rocks to pass over to the next stretch of beach, just under those rocks was a narrow tunnel-like rock formation leading down to god knows what. Your foot found the first rock easily, preparing yourself to step onto the next when you hit a patch of slimy moss, your feet flying out from underneath you.

You flung your hands out to try and grasp onto the rock to pull yourself back up. Desperately clawing until your fingers finally slipped and you fell downwards through the tunnel. It was a short fall, but your skin scraped painfully against the rough edges of the rocks before you splashed into a pool of water below.

It took you a moment to get your head back above the surface, swimming over to an edge and resting your head against the wall of what you could only assume was a cave while you tried to catch your breath. You were panting hard and rubbing the saltwater from your eyes.
A few moments later you opened your eyes, taking in the sight before you, and making your breath catch in your throat.