8: "Kiss me back."

Chapter 8 - "Kiss me back."

On the Sunday, I gave Nathan a tour of the university campus and grounds. He was heading back to his own flat later on in the evening and we'd decided to just have a chilled day together.

"I was thinking," Nathan said as we strolled back to my flat. "I might see if I can get the Friday afternoon off work. Then I could come and pick you up rather than you having to get dropped off at my work."

"I don't mind getting dropped off at your work," I replied. "I'm interested to see it all."

"Wouldn't you rather have more time together though?"

"Well yeah, of course," I admitted. "But I'm just saying that if it's not possible for you to book the afternoon off then I don't have a problem with meeting you there."

He took hold of my hand in his and squeezed it tightly. "Let's see how much work I get done first, eh?"

"I hope you're not a slacker."

He laughed. "I don't know the meaning of the word slacker."

"I'm sure there are lots of words you don't know the meaning of."

"Selective comprehension. That's what it is, Bella."

"Mm, I can imagine. You can be pretty selective with a lot of things."

Nathan simply chuckled. "You betcha."

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" I asked him, steering the conversation back towards a neutral topic.

"Well, I owe you three slices of pizza," he reminded me. "Wanna get Pizza Hut?"

"We had Pizza Hut on Friday."

"Domino's then. I'm not fussy."

I rolled my eyes. "So much for a balanced diet."

"Shall we save the pizza for next weekend then, Little Miss Healthy?" he sighed in exasperation, smirking down at me. "I'm only trying to make life easier."

"No, it's fine, we can have pizza..."

"No. I don't want pizza anymore."

"Nathan. Stop being difficult."

"Do you find it difficult?" he asked me. "You know, cooking for yourself all the time?"

"You mean rather than you cooking for me?" I smirked, glancing up at him as we walked along.

"Not necessarily just me," he laughed. "I mean, at home your parents always cook for you, and even though you'll do the odd meal yourself, you're now having to plan three meals a day."

"Well it's effort," I agreed. "But I'm getting into a routine now. It's all lifetime skills, isn't it?"

"Yeah. When we're married you'll be the perfect housewife."

My stomach did a somersault upon hearing Nathan mention marriage in such a casual way, as though it was something that was definitely going to happen, without question.

"Oh yeah?" I asked, trying to keep my tone casual.

"Oh yeah," he confirmed, grinning down at me.

"You certainly make a lot of assumptions about things," I told him, still trying to hide my smile.

"They're not assumptions. An assumption would suggest that it's not certain."

"Stop kidding around, Nathan," I smiled.

"Kidding around?" he gasped, feigning hurt. "You mean you think I'm joking?"

"I know you're joking."