Chapter 31: Lauren

I'm dreaming that my alarm is going off until I realize I'm not dreaming at all. Reaching to the nightstand, I swipe my phone to turn off the beeping and check for missed calls. Nada. Crap, I was so sure I'd know by now. When I roll back, a warm hand grabs mine and squeezes.

"Buongiorno," Seb says as I turn my head. His eyes are barely open, but he's smiling. This moment is giving me life right now.

"So it wasn't just a wonderful dream." I touch his cheek, grazing the stubble that had grown overnight. "You're really here."

He laughs, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me to him. "You have a good imagination if you dream about things like what we did last night."

I plant a kiss on his lips. "You know what I mean."

He nods. "Yes. It does feel a little not real. After waiting for so long . . .." He trails off as he moves his hand up my neck and digs his fingers into my hair. Guiding my mouth on top of his, he gives me a more proper greeting.

I steady myself against his naked chest and allow his tongue to play with mine as I breathe in the naturally salty scent of his skin. Seb's breathing is getting heavier as his hands sweep across my body. His touch is like fire, and I don't mind being burned.

But I will be burned. Not by having a repeat of last night, but by what will happen after.

In a few hours, Seb will be getting on a plane back to Italy. I hadn't thought it would end like this. I was so sure things would work out, but if the call hasn't come by now, it may not come at all. Being apart from him for just a week when we were only friends was hard enough. How will it feel now when I don't even know when we'd see each other again? Could we even make a long distance thing work? With his crazy schedule taking him across the globe much of the year and me most likely being stuck in California, it isn't going to be easy. I don't even know if he'd want to try.

After leaving a trail of kisses down his neck, I snuggle up against him. His heart beats under my ear and his chest moves up and down while he strokes my arm. I close my eyes. God, I just want to cry.

My phone buzzes, shaking on the nightstand behind me. I gasp—possibly shriek—flying out of Seb's arms and fumbling to grab the device. Seeing my agent's name on the caller ID almost makes me have a heart attack.

"Give me some good news," I beg as soon as I swipe to accept.

"Sorry it's taken this long to square things away—"

"Just tell me, please," I cut Celia off, my hand trembling as I look to Seb for emotional support. His expression is blank, ready for good or bad. At least one of us is.

She takes a deep breath. "Magister Honda finally signed this morning. I'll have the contract for your countersignature at your house by lunchtime."

The deal has been a possibility for weeks, and Celia had hinted at sort-of, kind-of having reached an agreement on Thursday, but it still sounds surreal. "So I definitely have Dai's spot on the team next season?" I ask to make sure I understand correctly as Seb tries not to smile, putting things together from the overheard snippets.

"You sure do, but don't tell the world just yet. You know how they like to make these big announcements," she says.

I bite my lower lip. There are only two people I want to tell, and one of them already figured it out. "No worries." I'm ready to add my good-byes when I remember something. "Oh, hey. I do have a quick questions."

"Sure. What is it?" she asks.

"Any idea why Cadmium didn't want me?"

She scoffs. "It's not that they didn't want you. I just don't think they wanted another American."

Those had been the rumors, so I guess I should be relieved. "So why didn't they just get someone else three months ago?" I ask.

Celia pauses, and this is where my heart starts beating in my throat. "I really didn't want to get into this, but I don't think you were their first choice, hun," she says.

Oh. Dagger, meet heart. "Why do you think that?" I continue to dig my own grave.

"There was something about the way Nigel approached our discussions. I'm pretty sure Ana-Maria has been locked in for a while now. But unlike you, she was probably obligated to finish her season in Spain first," she says.

This is the point where I regret even having asked, but I suppose a bruised ego now is better than not having had the last three months with Cadmium. I definitely wouldn't be here with Seb if it hadn't been for Ana-Maria Perez turning down Nigel this summer, that's for sure. Still, I don't need to hear any more about being the alternate. "Thanks, Celia. Talk to you later."

"Bye, kiddo," she signs off.

Dropping the phone on the bed, I let out a happy scream before scooting back to Seb. The glass is full: I have a job for another year, and I'll get to see him every other week.

"So Diego Martin—the person in the entire paddock you dislike the most—will be your teammate next year?" he asks with a huge grin.

I purse my lips, trying to keep a straight face. I really do hate the guy, not only for the way he's treated me, but also for ruining Seb's chances at a second title. "Dislike is such a weak word. I'd rather use the term despise."

"How will you handle this?" He strokes my arm, leaving goose bumps in its wake.

I shrug. I don't want to minimize Diego's actions toward me, but he's kept his distance lately so I hope there wouldn't be a repeat. "It totally sucks, but if this is the only way I can continue to race in the series and get to travel the world with you, I'd say it's still a win. Don't worry. If he tries any funny business, you bet your ass I won't let him get away with it again. Plus, at least this way you won't have to worry about me falling for my teammate," I say.

He winks. "Again."

"Touché." I poke the tip of his nose, but he grabs my hand before I can pull it away.

"Congratulations. You earn that spot." He kisses my fingertips. "But speaking of being together, I really do not want to wait until winter testing to see you again."

"Oh?" I blurt out my surprise. I'm not sure I can take any more good news, but if it means seeing Seb before January when the teams head to warmer climates for a series of pre-season practices, I could make an exception. "What did you have in mind?"

"Your Thanksgiving holiday," Seb says, sweeping a lock behind my ear. "It is soon, no?"

"Yeah, . . . it's the Thursday after next," I reply hesitantly, searching his eyes for where this is leading, but not daring to get my hopes up.

He smiles. "Well, if you do not object I would like to maybe return and visit you?"