7: Garages And Naps

Kent

Life is pretty strong, you have to give it that. It could break the toughest, drown the mightiest, and draw all the light from the brightest soul.

I wasn't strong, mighty, and my soul barely had a spark. I was once a flame that has been extinguished by a bucket of tears and misery.

The ride to Noah's house wasn't too long. It remained silent for most of the time, and I wasn't crying anymore.

He was soon pulling into a garage. His house was pretty big and neat from the outside. Two stories, a garage, a wide front yard, and it seemed to have a backyard too, and all in all, it made my house look like a piece of trash.

We got out of the car, me staying next to it while Noah flicked on the lights. Once they were on, I could make out what was in there. I was surprised actually. For a garage, it was very pleasant. It was spacious. There was a couch, with a blanket crumpled on it, an armchair, and a small tv. On the left wall there was an easel with an unfinished canvas, a couple of white canvases leaned on the wall, and a lot of painting supplies that I didn't quite know what they were.

"This is so cool." I was in awe of the place. Our garage looked like it had a grenade blown up in it. "I never knew you liked art. Well I actually don't know anything about you, but yeah."

Noah  laughed and shrugged. "It's mainly my dad, but I try. You can ask me whatever you want to know."

"But why? I mean this never happens, at least to me it's never happened."

"Everyone gets a chance in the end I guess."

"I guess."

He took us to his bedroom. It was the last room downstairs. The house seemed silent. I figured no one was there. A fluffy white cat was sound asleep on his bed

"This is Mistletoe but my dad calls her Toe." he passed his hand through her fur. My dad called me 'retard' but same concept, I guess. "So, are you gonna tell me why were you being chased by 3 people who looked like they were ready to burry you alive." He said. He was now lying on the bed next to her, eyes closed. His neck and a part of his chest were visible from his V neck shirt. I tried not to look.

I told him about the whole incident at school, and the punch I served him. How I ended up in Noah's car didn't need much telling. While narrating, he sat properly and looked at my face intently, making me a little uncomfortable. He extended his arm, and with his hand he brushed slowly and smoothly over the slightly purple bruise. I hissed in pain, which made him draw back quickly.

"I'm sorry" he said, his voice weak for some reason.

"It's okay, you didn't do it did you?"

"No I didn't, but I didn't stop it from happening either."

"You weren't supposed to stop it from happening, nor you would've known that it was going to happen."

"Well, at least you fought back this time." Seriously? Fought back? It was barely even a punch.

He motioned for me to sit down. I took the window seat. "It was a lucky shot that doesn't happen twice in the same lifetime." His room was overwhelmingly blue.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, changing the subject. I was famished by the time I was done with classes, but the whole incident, and sitting here, next to him, made my stomach tight, and it felt like I would throw up if I even smelled food.

"No thanks. I'm good."

"Sure about that?"

"Yeah, thanks"

He grabbed the remote and turned the TV on, and started surfing through the channels. I didn't know where this was going, but saying that this was the best time of my life was definitely not an understatement. I must've zoned out because Noah was talking to me.

"Hm?"

"I asked you 'How are you feeling?'"

"Truth is, I'm feeling a lot of things."

"Like what?" He sat straighter, and turned his body a few inches towards me.

"I'm feeling a little pain in my face. I'm a little excited to be here because I've never been at someone else's place. I'm also happy that I'm not spending the day alone in my room. And lastly, I'm also a little uneasy about being here with you. After all, I don't really know you and you don't really know me."

"We're married, though." he joked. I didn't laugh. "Why did you agree to come then?"

"For the same reason that you're helping me. We both don't know but it doesn't feel wrong, does it?"

"We ask a lot of questions, but absolutely not. It feels nice."

"It feels nice." I repeated.

“What do you want to watch?” He asked, and to be honest all I wanted was to lie in bed and sleep. I was so tired.

“It doesn’t matter really”. He put on a sitcom about some employees in a paper company, and he was watching carelessly. I was looking at him, examining his face. It was soft and a little on the round side. His hair was pointing in many directions, brown like the colour of hay right as it burned. He turned to look at me when he noticed.

“What’s wrong?" He nodded.

“Uh nothing I- I mean,” I mumbled. “Wh-Why did you skip Maths today? And did you skip anything else?”

“No just Maths”

“Why? I can ask ‘why’ right?”

“I told you, you can ask anything I don’t really mind. I missed out on a few classes, and I can’t catch up with it, I’m way behind.”

My fault, I immediately thought. “I’ll help you with it.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I wasn’t asking.”

“Alright, but not today. I love this, let’s not ruin it with Maths.”

“Love what?” I asked. I had no idea what was he talking about.

“This. Watching tv with you in silence. For some reason it's more peaceful when you're silent with someone else than silent on your own.” Oddly enough, it made sense.

-

I woke with a jump. Where was I? I thought. I didn’t know and I couldn’t remember much at first. A little later, I realized that I wasn’t alone. Noah fell asleep in his bed while I did by the window. He woke up to me shuffling around in panic.

“Hey.” He said.

“What time is it?!” I freaked.

He took a look at his phone, “6:38, why?”

“Oh no! my father is almost home. I really have to go.” I stood up quickly and reached for my bag, which was thrown on the armchair. I hurriedly slung it over my shoulders.

"Let's go, I'll drive you." We ran back to the car, but it wasn't there.

Oh my Goddddddddd.

Note de Author:

Hey what's up you guys, yes, it's another update. Hope you're enjoying the story. I always want to ask about what're you guys up to, but I feel like I should keep my comment sections story-oriented. But feel free to follow me on Instagram or dm here. My @ is rivertownaiden for both twitter and Instagram.

Don't forget to vote and tell me what you think. More soon x.