36: Prey and a Fruitless Chase

It had a been a week since the visit to Thatcher House, and Mare felt as though she'd never left.

"Head in the clouds," her mother clucked one day, watching her from the parlor as she wound through the halls. "For once it is admissible. A man in her thoughts rather than a book."

Her father murmured in response from across the room, his eyes tethered purposefully to The Star's Crossing Gazette. He still seemed less enthused by the prospect of marriage than her mother, despite Mare's inescapable immersion in courting season. Most days her mother could scarce allow a breath for how oft and aggressively she inquired after Mr. Doores, but today both offered reprieve with their quiet. Mare was not particularly grateful.

She yearned for distraction; for a thought in her head that did not wind back to him, as though their hearts and fingertips and tongues had been woven together, red thread and Shakespeare. Left to its own devices that link would bloom sinew and grow bones. 

It had to be severed.

This was Mare's focus as she dressed and boarded the carriage to Diana Wood, where the next courting ritual was to take place. This one was of the more unusual stock, and as her parents climbed into the carriage after her, Mare found herself grateful they'd come. It'd be no displeasing sight to see Mare among young men and women her own age, eligible and, of course, rich. She'd given few thoughts to the Bridge and Doores estate since her strange romance had unfolded weeks past, and even then only in disdain and fear. Today that glaring wealth might prove more an advantage than liability.

But as the traditional chase asked the parents of courtiers to join their offspring, it also meant that Mare's parents would meet Camden. Not as a neighbor or townsman or eligible boy-but as Mare's suitor. If indeed he intended to present as such.

Mare was yet unsure, even in light of his most recent letter, delivered by Teddy's hand. Mr. Bridge's hand. And she was crippled by the implications of the meeting for her. She would have to meet his father.

"No need to look so dour," said her mother in the carriage. Her plump cheeks were rouged, her eyes bright, and she'd worn her newest day dress. "All the world envies your youth."

"All the world, or just you, mother?" Mare smiled wanly, and her heart stirred a bit when her mother smiled back. She'd clearly glutted herself on rumors of Mare's exploits with Camden, or she wouldn't be nearly so pleased. If only she knew the truth of the letters. Of Mare. 

Another had been printed in the Gazette this week, another incriminating sprawl of Mare's words, though whoever sabotaged her had no intention of doing it quickly. Every letter published gave little indication who its author might be. Mare was relieved, and a hair offended, when other names began cropping up in suggestion. Was it Eliza Henry, the coach's daughter? Was it Rose McMann, heiress to a shipping fortune? Liberty Wells, who was guessed to be the next spinster of Star's Crossing, destined to study under and later replace Miss Cressida?

Mare was hardly one for pride. Such an emotion in the face of her writing was so unrealistic as to be stupid. Still, she couldn't help but bristle, watching her father's eyes trace the page in the parlor, taking in her words and calling them the property of someone else.

There was nothing to be done but wait for Alison to confront her mother. Hopefully, in the time since their return from Thatcher House, she'd had leave to do just that. Mare would find out shortly. First, she had to survive the meeting of her parents and Camden's.

She ought to have known such an encounter was not in the stars.

When Mare emerged from the coach and waded into the balmy summer morning, it was with hope and determination in her heart, both soon to be dismantled. Couples gathered on the verdant slopes and beneath the shade offered by burs and oaks and pines. Ladies fanned themselves and the gentlemen cleared their throats and spoke with one hand on their hip, gazing at the sea beneath the wooded cliff as conqueror's upon new land.