Chapter 109

Chapter One Hundred and Nine

I was silent for the entire run back, and I was silent afterwards.

Sebastian thought that things were smooth sailing, but he was wrong since there were still things I needed to do for both him and myself before the end of the month. For starters, I needed to figure out how the hell I was going to make him a 1940's vintage style leather jacket with my own personal flare and not have him find out about it prematurely due to his abnormal senses.

I could do it at Woody's cabin, but in my head that seemed like the worse option since it was really small and he'd already been spending a lot of time with me there.

Not even mentioning the weird feelings I'd been getting, and the fact that someone I couldn't see or touch was literally watching me and whispering things I couldn't understand into my head. I made a mental note to write down what I remembered and ask Bash about it.

He'd been alive long enough to understand the language, or so I was hoping.

I was so lost in my own head that I didn't even notice when we walked inside his house, or when I nearly bumped into Leo as he was walking around the corner. I stopped, looking up to see his frown being directed at me, but my eyes were instantly drawn to his torso and shoulder size.

I blinked, eyebrows raising, then looked at Sebastian to see that they had a similar body shape and seemed to be pretty close to the same size. Leo was definitely much shorter and not nearly as bulky with his muscle mass, but he had wider shoulders and a thicker neck.

I tilted my head and stared at his chest, absently wondering if he'd be willing to let me use him as a test dummy for the jacket. He didn't take kindly to my staring, though, and grumpily kept moving, bumping my shoulder as he walked past me. I turned and looked after him dazedly.

Sure enough, even from behind they were of similar build.

I'll text him about it later, I silently decided, smiling to myself. It might give me a chance to connect with him, too, and show him that I'm not some evil creature or--

My thoughts came to a screeching halt when Sebastian snagged my hand and pulled me into the empty kitchen before forcibly sitting me down at the table and taking a seat across from me. I blinked, staring at the serious look on his face with my nose scrunched up.

"What's wrong?" I asked, and he clenched his teeth.

"Many things are wrong," he said lowly, leaning back, "but what I want to know most is whether or not you're all right after what happened earlier."

"Do you mean with Steve?" I asked, then paused and hesitated a bit. "Or... the other thing?"

"Both," he grumped. "Both are equally jarring."

"I... I guess, I don't know," I sighed, leaning back and staring at the ceiling. "I mean, Steven hasn't decided what he wants to do, so he could either pick the contract or pick becoming a werewolf. I'm hoping, deep down, that he chooses the contract... but I'm not sure he will."

"Why?" Sebastian asked, looking at me intently. "What makes you think he won't?"

"The Kennedys are a somewhat vengeful family," I bitterly muttered. "If something doesn't go their way or they're wronged somehow, they typically lose their tempers and try to get even. I'm not sure what'll happen beyond this point, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him."

Sebastian wriggled his jaw from side to side. "If he causes problems... you know what I'll have to do."

I cringed and turned my face away. "I don't want to think about that. It isn't right. That isn't the way this situation, or any situation, should ever be handled."