II

The Monaco sun shone down on the sidewalk is torrents of bright light, assaulting my fair skin through the tan pantsuit on my body. I wasn't a fan of pencil skirts but the heat of the humid air made me wish I was wearing one instead of the crisp cut dress pants and suit jacket. Thank god my blouse was a lighter silky material. Despite the heat, there was a cocky smirk in the back of my head that I couldn't shake off. There was something about the day after a job, waking up and feeling your wrists free from metal shackles, that always put me in a good mood.

Though there was always more work to be done and sadly today was going to be a busy day.

I flexed my hands at the thought of my freedom, stretching my palms which seemed to have a sudden aching stretch that wasn't unfamiliar to me. My consciousness did it's best to shake it off, gazing out at the sparkling turquoise water. I wouldn't be in Monaco much longer. My next stop was pretty much the opposite; the cold and grey landscape that is Moscow. After that, I'd be back in the heat but not in the sense of Monaco's beautiful waterfront. Instead, I would be in the arid desert of Israel, trying not to get killed by just about every person in Tel Aviv.

The hot liquid of my black coffee ran down the back of my throat, making the thick atmosphere feel colder by comparison. It was a trick I had learned from my father, but I wasn't one for following in my father's footsteps. If anything, I wanted to be nothing like him. The truth of the matter is that we can't control who we become, but we can awaken the things inside of us. There was nothing worse than the things deep inside of my spirit, swirling with darkness and pain.

My aura contrasted with the man actively sitting down beside me in his own navy blue suit. I lifted my aviators onto my head, letting them rest in my wavy chestnut hair. If I had timed this correctly, Hans L'eclerc would be breaking up with me today.

I knew how to turn on the clingy factor just before I got what I needed; enough time to produce a digital copy of his computer on my own. Hans was a cybersecurity officer for the Russian owned weapons company called Gorizonta, meaning horizon. Fitting for a missile guidance system company.

My current cover was an auditor from Paris who happened to work in the office next to Hans', as it was the only free block on the floor. It might have taken a few months, but I had managed to weasel my way into his heart and into his bed, gaining access to the secure connection zone that was his apartment. Just two days ago I had successfully gotten the right data from his computer. Now, all I needed to do was break this off without suspicion and jet off to Russia.

This job was a big payday and I was looking forward to it. While Rick might have given me this job, the truth is that I didn't work for him alone. I was fluid with my employers, doing whatever it took to make a quick buck. It was sad to see how much money and adrenaline controlled my life, but it was the truth. Like the art vandalism last night? Rick wouldn't waste his time on such foolish things. He had a multibillion-dollar drug cartel and an oil pyramid to run. But I didn't work strictly for Rick. I had my own ventures.

Though big jobs like this would be impossible to do without the help of Tyler's skills and for that, I needed Rick. You see, Rick Abioye was one of the most powerful drug traffickers in the world and I served as his 'it' man. Anything he needed to be done, whether it was being his bodyguard for a night or facilitating a high volume weapons deal, I was the one he hired. I'd risen to the top to become his right-hand man at only twenty-three, maintaining the demanding position for the past two years. The story of how I got here is anything but pleasant; it's also a tale for another time.

"Hey, Baby," I smiled warmly, prying my eyes from the oceanfront to look at the blonde sitting beside me, his dark brown eyes hiding something behind his small smile. "How was your week?"