Filled Up With Werewolves

"What do you suppose all those werewolves were doing in Hogsmeade?" Lily asked, putting her palms against James's scalp to still his face, pausing him kissing her jaw.

They were doing their rounds, cramped in behind one of the myriad suits of armor that lined the halls on the fifth floor, down the empty Defense Against the Dark Arts wing. They'd left Sirius and Remus in the Shrieking Shack, not long after arriving back from their venture. Peter, despite having insisted he wouldn't be the one to return with food, had actually ended up volunteering, saying he felt quite guilty imagining poor Sirius and Remus going hungry. That had left James and Lily at the castle, and James had been quite keen to get on with performing their duties as Headboy and Headgirl.

"Musn't shirk it off, eh?" he'd said, dragging her from the common room mere steps behind Peter Pettigrew, "I mean we've already missed one night of rounds, we musn't miss two."

Now, Lily's back pressed to the wall behind the suit of armor, James's palms flat on the tapestry she leaned against, his mouth smearing kisses along her jaw, she'd caught sight of the moon through one of the tall windows, reminding her of the werewolves.

James's face showed concern. "Am I so shoddy at snogging that you're thinking about that instead of... you know... this?" he asked.

Lily laughed.

James continued, "Oi, I oughtn't to have taken any snogging advice from Sirius."

Lily raised an eyebrow, "You took advice on snogging from Sirius Black?" she asked.

"Well," James shrugged, "Only about what it is that girls like best."

"Like Sirius bloody knows a thing about what girls want," Lily hooted.

"Seeing as he might as well be one," James said, shrugging again.

Lily giggled.

James flushed, "Dunno, just figured he might have some pointers how to make you happy is all."

Lily asked, "And what about all the snogging you've already done in your life?"

"Hush," James answered.

"I'm only saying that it isn't as though you've lacked any practice at the skill is all," she laughed.

James's flush deepened. "I guess..."

"And what'd you do with them?" she asked, "Hold hands?"

"I mean... no," James answered, wishing she'd let the subject go.

"James Potter," Lily asked, mock-accusingly, "Are you a naturally terrible kisser?"

"No, I'm not terrible," James replied, "At least not in the mechanics of it. Hey -" he cut her off before she could ask him for details about the phrase the mechanics of it, not really wanting to tell her about the Oh Gods Evans incident, " - Let's talk about your thing now. There werewolves in Hogsmeade? Whatever could it mean?"

Lily could see the embarassment in his eyes - desperate as they were - and decided that she'd let it go... for now. Eventually, she vowed to herself, she'd circle back and find out what the bloody hell he was on about. She just couldn't, in good conscience, go on teasing him at this point. And so she allowed him to change the subject, saying, "And with Dumbledore and Urquart and Veigler and even Minnie, too!"

"Yes, and Garm and Frek and Mr. Scamander..." James shook his head, "Remus was really concerned, I could tell the way he was looking when you lot were talking on the way back to the Shack. He thinks something's going on that they're excluding him from."