FORTY-TWO

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
( "LET ME GO!" )

JOURNEY BLASTED THROUGH NICK'S earphones as he walked through the school hallway to get to lunch

JOURNEY BLASTED THROUGH NICK'S earphones as he walked through the school hallway to get to lunch. Exhausted and hungry and frustrated, he really didn't want to interact with much of anyone at the moment, so he resorted to listening to music during the entirety of the period before lunch as the substitute teacher gave out a work sheet for the class to do. He didn't understand much of anything of it, much like he stood nothing of the pop quiz in first period and the test he had forgotten about in second period, so by the time he turned it in when class ended Nick was pretty positive he got nearly half, if that, correct. Not to mention he left his backpack at home like the dumbass he is so he couldn't turn in any homework. He also quit tennis. He was missing meetings and practices anyway, but still the coach wasn't too happy, so he had disappointing yet another adult on his conscience. Add all of that together, plus his lack of sleep caused by various reasons – homework, procrastination, but mainly restless nights – and Nick wanted to be left alone.

Still, at spotting Ned in the lunch line by himself, Nick went up to him quickly, silently standing near Peter's best friend, the two smiling at each other. They haven't really talked – a greeting or two here and there every once in a while – since the break up, but Nick was hoping they could get back to talking regularly again. He missed the boy spamming his phone with memes every chance he got.

Nick sighed and pushed some curls off of his forehead – his hair was getting too long, and as of right now he wouldn't mind cutting it all off – and then glanced to Ned who had gently nudged him. Nick raised an eyebrow as Ned pointed behind him, trying to warn him of someone, but just as Nick took one earphone out an arm from behind wrapped around his waist and easily picked him up. Nick let out a yell of surprise, and one hand grabbed onto the arm while the other tried to pull down his shirt that had ridden up but it wouldn't budge from under the guy's arm. Nick huffed and turned his head to see Monty Grier smiling at him cheekily, the supposed to be senior having no trouble in grabbing a lunch tray while holding him. It wasn't unusual for Monty to just pick Nick up out of the blue – it wasn't hard for Monty, either, with Nick being as short and small as he was – and it usually happened when the older boy wanted to have an important conversation with Nick.

Nick rolled his eyes and looked back to Ned. "Ned, can you get my lunch for me?" He asked, knowing Monty wasn't about to put him down anytime soon.

Ned, trying not to bust out laughing or embarrass himself in front of one of the popular football players, quickly nodded. "Y- Yeah! Of course."

"What do you want, Monty?" Nick then asked, sounding exasperated, and rested his arms over Monty's, gently kicking Ned with his foot until the boy turned around with a questioning look. Nick smiled innocently, acting as if he hadn't done anything. Ned just stuck out his tongue at Nick. So, their friendship wasn't ruined. That's good.