02. chased

C H A P T E R  2

❛ chased.

 ❜

MILO

THE TIRES SCREECHED OVER THE ASPHALT when his companions quickly drove away from the parking lot. There was a painful throb in his head and he closed his eyes in an attempt to get rid of it. Quinn wasn't supposed to be there, she was supposed to be somewhere safe, out of harm's way. When his boss had gotten word of the Magician's whereabouts this morning he'd sent Milo and his crew out to end it. To end the drug war that had been plaguing the city for over a year now, so that their crew would rule the streets once again. But while they had ended the biggest drug dealer in the city and claimed victory, he had almost gotten his sister killed in the process.

He should be mad at her for continuously putting herself in danger. He should be trying his hardest to keep her away from the horrors this world had to offer. Instead, he'd turned a blind eye and told himself that she would recover, that she would become better on her own, that he only had to hope for it to happen and she'd be fine. Now he couldn't help but wonder if he'd been stricter, maybe gotten angry at times, she might not have become addicted. She might still be dancing on the stage of the theater downtown like the little angelina ballerina she'd always been.

Over the years Milo came to realise that one of his many talents involved blaming himself for his sister's misery. He simply couldn't help it. Everything that hurt her, hurt him. All his life he had tried to protect her, prayed to whatever God was listening to keep her safe, only for her to end up getting in harm's way time and time again. As he stared at his trembling hands, though, he realised that what scared him the most wasn't even the fact that she could've gotten hurt. It was the stone cold relief in her eyes when he killed that man.